Wifi switch not working with Intel 6300n ultimate on NB550D?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Wifi switch not working with Intel 6300n ultimate on NB550D?

Hi,

I have a NB550D-105 which I upgraded replacing the memory with a 4GB Corsair stick. It is working very well (mostly running Kubuntu), and now I wanted to replace the wifi with a faster one. I got an Intel 6300n Ultimate and slotted it in the place of the atheros wifi+bluetooth module, it is detected, the drivers load, but the light is always off and the linux driver tells me the rf-kill switch is off. When I boot into windows the driver installs and runs, but the light stays off, and no networks are visible. Pressing fn-f8 to turn wifi on or off doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas on what I can do to force-enable wifi? Or is the NB550D compatible only with the included atheros module?

Re: Wifi switch not working with Intel 6300n ultimate on NB550D?

Well, I "fixed" it by taping over pin 20 on the 6300n. Seems like the Toshiba only "whitelists" some pcie IDs, and for the others the switch just doesn't work.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Wifi switch not working with Intel 6300n ultimate on NB550D?

Well, I "fixed" it by taping over pin 20 on the 6300n. Seems like the Toshiba only "whitelists" some pcie IDs, and for the others the switch just doesn't work.