Gkawa

NB515 with Ubuntu

I've just bought my last netbook, a Toshiba NB515. Last one because Toshiba is not making them anymore. I wanted a replacement for my NB205 (love it but it's getting old) so I bought the one that seems to be the last one ever made.

However... I've been disappointed by what I've got. The netbook looks nice but it doesn't have the quality and the sturdy built of my NB205. The keyboard feels like an ASUS. Anyway, that's not the worst part, the worst part is that it came with Windows 7 Starter. It's the biggest scam ever. Microsoft claims to have done that version for small computers in the "below the 300us$" range. It's a lie, it's exactly the same Windows 7 Home version crippled and I haven't bought a cheap "below 300us$" netbook. Every function is there but blocked, areas of the disk (my disk, the one I paid for) are unaccessible by policy. That's not a different version, that's plain extortion. And to make matters worse, Microsoft (with the complicity of Toshiba) used more than 10% of my disk (the 320Gb disk I paid for) to store a demo version of Office. They say that it's my choice to use it or not (I won't) but they won't allow me to reclaim the space so i can use MY DISK, the disk I paid for with MY MONEY, to store MY STUFF.

So, I'm going to throw it all away and use something nicer. I already have Ubuntu on one of my desktops and the things that are available for Ubuntu will cover (with spare) my needs on the road. What I want to know is if anyone here has tried it before. The NB100 is the last one fully certified for Ubuntu. I'm willing to sacrifice some functionallity. Bluetooth, for eaxmple, most likely won't have a compatible driver. But I haven't used it ever in my NB205, so I don't expect to need it now. What else will I loose?

Gkawa

Re: NB515 with Ubuntu

In case anyone is interested.

I have Ubuntu running on my NB515. Surprinsingly, everything (almost) seems to be working perfectly. Bluetooth, camera, audio, video. I'm still looking for the wired network driver, I rarely use it but it's nice to have it.

I haven't tried the external monitor interface. I'd like to see the HDMI working, it's a nice feature for a netbook.

The version I installed is Ubuntu Desktop 12, last stable available. The installation was easy, it takes time but it's pretty much all automated. I did the online installation, mostly because the pen drive I have available was too small for the full installer. You can try it running from the USB pen without touching the current Windows 7 installation. The only thing that you can't use is the whole screen resolution. Maybe it can be done, I just didn't try. But it's a way to take a peek at what you'll get, test hardware to see if there are incompatibilities. I tried Debian too, nice but I'm more familiar with Ubuntu.

So, if you want to migrate your NB515 out of Win7, this is the situation. I'll keep looking for a wired network driver and report here if I can get one (any help is appreciated).

Gkawa

I just tried connecting an external monitor. Both VGA and HDMI work fine. So the only issue left is the wired network card. There's a fix coming.

aldusc

[ Edited ]

HI Gkawa, I wish to Install Ubuntu in my NB515 too!! and yo have Ubuntu in Multiboot system or Ubuntu only?? i wish to install in multiboot system with my Windows 7 Home Basic..........

Occasional Builder
Bi-Ill

Hi, aldusc.

I will assume that the Windows OS Add/Remove Control Panel app does not list UBUNTU allowing you to use its uninstaller. Therefore, you primary option, I believe, is to use a utility to wipe it off your hard drive. I think this is the best practice. However, taking a look at your Computer in Windows Explorer and just "deleting" appropriate files on the host drive is a tedious and rough means of accomplishing the same objective. Then you will need to run a utility to scan for sector and file system errors. You can accomplish this within the OS or use Windows command prompt or PowerShell.

Good luck.

Bi-Ill

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Bill5960
aldusc

Hi Bi-Ill!

I can resize my partitions with some utilitie, and create new partition for Ubuntu, in multiboot system, or i install Ubuntu into Windows with Wubi, but is slow and decrease performance, i think wich the first metod, is the better in this case, i plan use G-Parted for create a new partition in Ext2 for Lubuntu 13.04, and conserve the Windows 7 Home Basic, installed..

Greetings!!

Occasional Builder
Bi-Ill

Hi, Gwanda.

Please don't despair and become irrationally irritable. I experienced many of the same problems with my wonderful NB305 when I first began to use it. However, it soon became my favorite PC. In addition, I grew to like Windows 7 more than previous OSs and shortly after purchase Windows 8 was introduced both for the new Surface and desktops. I do not like Windows 8. Moreover, there are special versions of Windows 8 that allow greater security. Unhappily, at present, I am informed that you will not easily be able to install Linux (UBUNTU) or any other incompatible OS on your system (partitioned single drive). I should think the OS would allow you to access the other external drive and its stored information. However, I do not know this. Therefore, good luck and best wishes as you have already accomplished what I wanted to do on Windows 8. I do not want to further jeopardize my current favorite OS, Windows 7 and all compatible apps.

Bi-Ill

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Bill5960
Occasional Builder
Bi-Ill

Great, aldusc!

However, your actions, for me, are unrepeatable. I don't want to jeopardize the performance of my favorite OS (now legacy), Windows 7. I wanted to do what you did on my Windows 8 system. I dislike most things about it except that certain features have been improved. These are important (for instance, being able to make BIOS (UEFI) changes while still in the OS (rather than having to wait until reboot and then make them while in the BIOS). As mentioned, Toshiba already allows this in their add-on enhancements to Windows 7 (on my netbook model, at least). However, I used my favorite utility and it screwed up Toshiba's software. It never did that before but I uninstalled a Toshiba add-on which must have been linked (.dll) to many other Toshiba add-ons and screwed all of them up. This damaged the program that allows factory equivalent restoration of software. I went to the Toshiba website to obtain factory versions but the installations did not resolve the program failures. I do NOT want to reinstall my upgraded OS to restore my system to its present configuration, plus restoration of the damaged apps. Therefore, a word to the wise: Be careful with even your most trusted utility programs which may cause unanticipated results!

Good luck.

Bi-Ill

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Bill5960