bmh1
Accepted Solution

NB505-N500BL Memory Upgrade

So the online Toshiba specs say the 505 has 1GB DDR3 memory but the recommended replacement and upgrade is DDR2.  Can a 2GB DDR3 be installed in the NB505-N500BL netbook?  If so, what's the part number?  Thanks Toshiba for the confusion.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: NB505-N500BL Memory Upgrade

mini notebook NB505-N500BL 

the online Toshiba specs say the 505 has 1GB DDR3 memory

Don't know where you looked, but the specs above say DDR2.

I would stick with memory sold by Toshiba or the best Kingston makes.

Toshiba 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz Module

Kingston KTT800D2/2G 2GB 800MHz Module

-Jerry
shasta

The NB505-N500BL can indeed be upgraded from a 1GB memory to 2GB's, UNLESS the OS is Windows Starter. You will need Win7 premium or higher. This I find out from Toshiba after installing the correct module and then finding out that the Windows Experience Index would not update. 

Hope this will save anybody that does not wish to upgrade their OS some time. 

ScottHaymaker

I recently purchased a Toshiba NB505-N500BL mini notebook. I love the mini. I upgrade the OS to Microsoft 7 Professional and purchased the 1 GB memory upgrade from Toshiba-Direct.

What I want to know is this, IS there a free slot to add the memory to? I have not opened the back yet to see, but I have noticed a lot of users just buying the 2 GB upgrade and installing it.

So before I go forward, I'd like to know if there is a free slot for another 1 GB memory card in the NB505? (I have 20+ years of IT experience and have upgraded many notebooks, just want to be sure in case it only has 1 slot, that way I can return the memory and purchase a 2 GB module before bothering to open the case.

Any comments are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scott

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB505-N500BL

According to the specs above, Scott, there is a single memory slot.

See the section Adding memory (optional), beginning on p. 40 of the User's Manual.

NB500 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
ScottHaymaker

[ Edited ]

Check. Should have opened it up, either the netbook or the user manual.

Anybody want 1GB of memory for the NB505-N500BL?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Should have opened it up, either the netbook or the user manual.

Well put. <g>

-Jerry
ScottHaymaker

Usually I do. But I thought there might be a second slot, but that's what I get for thinking!

Now I'll have 2 1GB memory modules, both with low hours. I ordered the 2GB through Toshiba. If anyone wants to buy the 2 1GB modules, they're yours for $10.00 even, shipping and handling included to the lower 48. Just let me know.

Peace.

Scott

sdiaz

Hi am new I have not jet Buy the Notebook , but am going to and I wanted to upgrade it , but I read you comment and now I dont know if financially speaking I can , just to be clear I can not upgrade the memory if I dont upgrade the software? am just checking , because there is no way I can pay the 119 usd that I beilive the windows 7 cost , and more thing has anybody change window 7 to Window XP , is this posible or would it do something to the computer thank for everything. Kind Regards sarah diaz
ScottHaymaker

I upgraded to Win 7 Pro with 1gb. Just wanted 2gb because memory is so cheap now. I love this little critter. It makes a good offline netbook, good travel netbook, etc. The only thing I have to buy next is a USB DVD-RW for it and I'm set. I also bought the bundle, sleeve, memory stick, etc. Great price point there too. And then found a nice carrying case on eBay for netbooks. Well made. So I'd go for it, I highly recommend it if you're looking for a small, portable netbook. I have never had problems with my Toshiba products.

Peace.

Scott

Lisa4502

Well since I have zero hours of IT experience can we please clarify for us computer dummies.

If I want to upgrade to 2GB, I have to buy the 2GB, not just add another 1GB, correct?

sdiaz

Correct like mention above this NB has only one slot so you need to take the one that bring about and replace it with the 2gb , I hope it help

Taylor_NB505

I just got the NB505 at Best Buy and the Win7 upgrade was $50 if bought with the system.  Needed to upgrade so I can extend the desktop on an external monitor and upgrade the memory to 2GB.  So far i like this little guy.  I'm replacing a Samsung NC10 which I loved but lost in the line of duty...OK, I spilled coffee on it. :-(

ScottHaymaker

Yep, it only has one slot. I bought the 2GB module via ToshibaDirect, decided to keep the original 1GB as a backup, and will put the other 1GB on eBay or something at some point. Considering the long run, as these new mini's are coming out, the memory may well be worth holding onto, but I only need 1 of them, not 2.

If you have 0 hours of IT training, I'd recommend taking it to a technical shop and have them perform the upgrade after you purchase the 2GB module. Unless you feel comfortable enough to take the back plate off and remove the old module and install the new. But they're fragile, and there's always the static issue to worry about. But with static, I will admit this, I have over 25 years of IT experience, and I have changed memory without a static-resistant band on my arm or any other precautions. :smileywink:

That said, I do NOT in any way advise installing memory without an AS band or some other anti-static device.

Sincerely,

Scott

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

Occasional Contributor
TwoFour24

Where does the manual or netbook specs say that Windows 7 starter cannot handle 2 gigs of memory?  I love this little netbook but really, the cost of replacing all the junk software is ridiculous.  MS Office starter is a joke and definitely has to be replaced but I was able to live with W7 starter.  I've already ordered the 2 gig stick hoping to improve performance.  IS IT REALLY TRUE THAT STARTER WILL NOT RECOGNIZE 2 GIGS OF MEMORY?  Say it isn't so.

Occasional Contributor
jkn1946

Hi, Just a quick, unqualified answer as I have an earlier model Toshiba netbook with Win 7 starter - mine handled the 2gb upgrade just fine - I think the idea that Win 7 is limited to 1 gb of memory is not true - not sure why it started.

Just my experience, yours might be different.

John

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

IS IT REALLY TRUE THAT STARTER WILL NOT RECOGNIZE 2 GIGS OF MEMORY?  Say it isn't so.

It isn't so.

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

Version                  X86            X64

=======                  ===            ===

Windows 7 Ultimate       4 GB           192 GB

Windows 7 Professional   4 GB           192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium   4 GB           16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic     4 GB           8 GB

Windows 7 Starter        2 GB

Physical Memory Limits for Windows

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
TwoFour24

Great, thank you so much!

TwoFour24

Occasional Contributor
TwoFour24

Thank you.  I thought more than one person would post that warning if it were true.

TwoFour24