Maiden6
Accepted Solution

NB505-N500BL Memory Madness Continues...help?

[ Edited ]

I need a "second opinion," on this matter before I feel 100% about the memory upgrade I planned.  Up front, let me say i am a "newbie" when it comes to netbooks, and although I upgraded/increased RAM on PC years ago without a glitch, this has been a long drawn out, confusing matter.    I'll try & keep the "saga" as short as possible.  Before I purchased the NB505-N500BL, I had did a little research on-line to see if this model would work for me.  I had checked out this site & forum, and at that point no reason to be concerned about upgrading memory - thus, skipped threads on upgrade issues.

I made my purchase at Best Buy, and very quickly decided it would work well for me to upgrade to the 2GB.  I used Crucial in the past and automatically went with them again.  From further visits to this forum, read through the posts indicating confusion from owners, responders, etc., kind of as a FYI.  (not sure of thread name but the one with the photos someone posted with two RAM modules & the confusion with the look of them.)  I ran the crucial scanner and received the results which seemed to make sense. BTW, there is no D3 on the bottom of unit label nor anywhere else.  The scan result indicated a DDR2 2GB module, which I ordered.  When it arrived, it did not look like what was pictured & I was unsure if that was an issue or not.

This is what my initial crucial scans looked like (actually, the pic is from compat toshiba recommendation after I began to have doubts - but this is what the crucial module from scans looked like.)

Since the modules looked very different, I had contacted crucial via email, and have gotten a number of replies which were really not helpful at all.  I just wanted to verify if this is how the DDR2 2GB I ordered is in fact the correct one or, is it possible that the part number I ordered, had not been mislabled therefore they sent me the wrong part.

Between non-helpful replies, I did one day go through the process of opening up, and placed the "new" module in.

(during this whole process, I was told by /crucial that "toshiba has always been a problem.)

Everything seemed to line up, and "fit" without trouble.  The only issue was that the clips on each side of the module slot, would not completely click back into full position.  After I closed up & replaced the battery, powered on without any problems except, within apprx 10 minutes the bottom of the netbook exactly below the memory slot, was a little more than warm...slightly less than "hot" but getting there.  Why did I find that odd?  Because for as long as I have owned and used this netbook, nowhere on the bottom of the unit has it ever been so much as warm - even with hours of use.  I took the module out, put the old 1GB in, the clips went right into place, and there was no heat on bottom of unit.

During this process of back & forth with Crucial, for the heck of it, I used their scanner again, and surprisingly a few times the results came back stating that DDR3 memory is what my system required. ????

I had sent a reply to the "Sales & Service Representative" stating this, and asked why was their scanner inconsistent with results, and the next bizarre response not only gave a link to which the Rep stated / confirmed results that I did indeed require DDR3, and asked for a picture of the original 1GB, as well as asking if I had tried the module sent to me.

FYI if this helps...here is what the installed 1GB looks like:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Misc/IMG_1767.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174//Misc/IMG_1756.jpg[/IMG]

Having ADD is bad enough, not too mention a few family emergency's, I decided to come here for some guidance before I dare respond to Crucial.

sorry post is so long....and I have not even given a detailed description of all the info / specs / pictures  /scan copies, etc., that I provided them up front in the hope of getting a quick and definative answer.

I do hope that someone with more experience, can give me some guidance.

Thanks for reading :smileyfrustrated:

Occasional Contributor
gat0gelat0

Re: NB505-N500BL Memory Madness Continues...help?

[ Edited ]

Hi, you need to take out the /IMG from your links, else they don't work. Anyway, I looked at the picture of your existing 1GB module. It says "Hynix 1GB 2Rx16 PC2-6400S-666-12". If I google that, i get DDR2. Also, you say there is no D3 on your label anywhere, so you should indeed have DDR2. Your photo of the 2GB Crucial module is unfortunately hazy but it looks like it says 200-PIN SO-DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400. Does it? If so, it should work.

Also, this seems to be the recommended one from Crucial - is this what you bought?

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8792AD4DA5CA7304

Maiden6

Hi.  Thanks for responding.   The link that you posted is in fact what I ordered from Crucial.  I will admit that I am not too familiar with laptop memory.  So, I guess in a nutshell, my confusion about the product received boils down to the difference in the look of the module.  I see images from other places for the correct module (as well as the image from Crucial,) and question, is there a difference in a module that has the four 'memory components (hope this is the term,) on each side versus the eight on each side I received?  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a "Yes," answer.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
gat0gelat0

The way I went about it all was simply to go to the local electronics superstore and ask for a 2GB 200-PIN SO-DIMM DDR2 memory for a Toshiba netbook. They gave me a 'Patriot' make. It fit correctly and everything booted up properly and I haven't looked back. Unfortunately, I don't know if the 2GB stick I bought had 8 or 4 chips on a side. It shouldn't matter as long as the net memory is 2GB. If there are 16 chips in total, it may just mean that each is 128MB or if there are 8 in total, each is 256MB and so on. Can't you just return the Crucial memory, if you are in doubt, and just go the local store and get another one?

Maiden6

first let me thank you for the time & advice in posting.  I decided to go ahead and place the "new" 2GB module in the NB.  There were no issues at all during the install, and not a single problem (fingers crossed) so far with the operation end. The only question mark but, likely is not a problem: a while back when I first inststalled the module, I had noticed after apprx ten minutes the bottom of the netbook became warm where the module sits.  I had wondered about this because despite all I ever hear about laptops & netbooks getting warm...I never noticed this at all...even after a few hours of use. 

Since I've had the 2GB back in, yes, there is a little general warmth but, nothing outstanding so, I just make sure there is ventilation.  And, the NB has definately increased the speed / productivity, etc.

Just one other thing.  I had to laugh when you mentioned, just going to a local electronic store to located the compatible upgrade.  I had moved from a state (I refer to as a metropolis,) 8 yrs ago to one about 100+ miles over the border.  Holy....!  It could be Mars.  I did go initially to the 2 or 3 likely locations, and no one had this...even the retailer whom I purchased it from.  The funny (but frustrating,) aspect was the bewilded looks when I asked, "can you order" and a few other "normal" questions.  Heck, you can see a commercial for even new grocery store items, and automatically say "yep, well that looks good but, it will never be seen around here!)  

This is why I had to go with the on-line purchasing.  

Thanks again.   

Occasional Contributor
gat0gelat0

Glad the 2GB memory is working out. Cheers!