Stiggy
Accepted Solution

NB305 - bad keyboard

Hi,
I received my NB305-106 netbook this week. I really like it, except for one thing that got me baffled: I cannot believe how bad the keyboard is! And I just do not get this, since all major reviews rave about the keyboard as being one of the best.

But on my lappy, it just keeps on missing presses. I have to press a key hard and at almost 90 degree angle dead in the center, else it won't register. This is especially noticeable with keys at the edge of the keyboard like the 'a' and 'l'. And the space bar; if you don't press that dead in the middle: no space.

Does anyone have the same experience? Will it get better after some use?

I am about to return the thing, though I like every other aspect of it. I just cannot type on it (I could have written this piece faster on my iPhone! )

sylar121

Re: NB305 - bad keyboard

I have exactly the same problem, i'm typing with it now and its so FRUSTRATING!!

It cant be this bad, must have a dodgy batch. I'm taking it back this week.

Stiggy

Hi sylar121,

Did you take it back? Got another one that is better?

(I went back to the store and they said it's normal; just the construction of the keyboard)

Jimsbits

Got the same problem with mine, did you get a replacement ?
Topkicker

Just received mine in the UPS today and numbers 7 thru 0 would not work at all and the letters R,E,X would not work either. So needless to say back in the box it went. Already dumped off at UPS store to be sent back. That really sucked, was ready to try this little guy out! :smileymad:

billyghawaii

I've had my NB305 since 4/29 and have been noticing the same issue.  I really like this computer but I won't keep it with the way the keyboard has been working.  Hope there is a soft fix .. But if its a design flaw we need to know that too.  I will send  message to the support folks...

timpd123

Same EXACT problem.  However, this did not occur right away, it was after a few days of using.  I've also had trouble with very low sound quality, slow performance, and strange pixels upon startup (at top of screen) that dissapear once windows loads.  Any answer on the keyboard problem?  Is it simply hardware or is there a software fix?

VicB

My new NB305 had the same keyboard issue, missed keys especially 'o' and 'k'. Took it back to Best Buy after 2 days and swapped for another. New one is perfect.

salfamily5

I am having the same problem with keyboard.  It is especially noticable when trying to capitalize letters when two keys must be hit at the same time.  It would be great if someone has any soft fixes that they can post.

Regarding earlier posting on sound quality - for some reason my netbook defaulted to a low quality sound setting, so I did the following and it helped alot;

*  double click on the speaker icon in the lower tray.

*  Once the window pops up, double click on the "Speakers" column.

*  Choose the "Levels" tab and change the "Realtek HD Audio Output" to 100%

*  Choose the "Enhancements" tab and check boxes for "Equalizer" and "Loudness Equalization"

*  Choose the "Advanced" tab and, under Default Format, choose the "24 bit 192000 HZ (Studio Quality)" setting.

*  Click OK, and your sounds should be much better.

jujubee

[ Edited ]

I got my netbook a few days ago.  I've been having the same problem with the keyboard, except there's no problem with the spacebar and I don't have to press the keys particularly hard.  There aren't any keys that particularly 'miss' a lot, it's just that all of them only register if i press exactaly in the center, and I don't type that way... it's really frustrating.  Also the arrow keys are glitchy and pause and stop all the time. Can this be resolved by exchanging it for a new one?  With all the great reviews I heard about the keyboard on this netbook, not all of them can be like this...  I got mine on amazon.com, can I still exchange it? 

rwcahow

Well, I guess that the more people complain about an issue, the better Toshiba will get. 

I have had the same problem with my keyboard since I bought it April 26th. I have to hit the keys dead on and actually hold my fingers there for a split second before the letter to appear.  and then it seems that the actual posting of the character on the screen is slightly behind my typing. 

I thought that this problem was just me. Thanks everyone for returning me to sanity

haggercody

I'm having the same issues with the keyboard.  I find it funny that none of the professional reviews mentioned this (I guess I know who I can't rely on).  Either way, I'm really tired of the missed keys and constance backspace hits.  This keyboard issue is so bad I'm considering another netbook.  Fail Toshiba.

penn65000

I have same issue "o" and "l" don't work. This is AFTER I had wifi card (defective) replaced. Shame on Toshiba. Their quality stinks.

davdee

Hi.

I got an NB305 and I am frustrated by some keys; I thought it was just me.

At work and home I have a normal keyboard attached and it works fine.

I could love the nb305 if it was not for its keyboard. The one I have is the white body with the silver

chiclet keys. Wondering if another type of nb305 may be better.

Any suggestions you have a welcome.

Thanks

SheilaW

I'm having the same problem with my NB305 410BL.  Has anyone gotten any response from Toshiba about this?  It's very frustrating because I decided to go with a Toshiba mini instead of an HP netbook. Regretting that decision. Right now I'm typing on my HP laptop and it doesn't miss a single letter.

surfcast14

Have been struggling with the keyboard problem for 9 months. The lagging space bar is the worst of it for me, but the keyboard greatly degrades an otherwise very nice product. Toshiba has its head in the sand on this one if they can't design a fix. If it's simple a failed hardware design, they really have a lemon and it's hard to believe that the credible tech reviewers missed it. I was making decisions on regular laptop replacement and took Toshiba off the list after this experience. Very dissapointed in the company response.
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

Folks, if you haven't contacted the Toshiba Customer Support Center (800-457-7777) about having your NB-series netbooks repaired I recommend doing so.  We've got about a dozen reports of keyboard trouble in this thread over 11 months, and multiple forum members who sent theirs out for repair have reported that they now work fine.

While I understand the disappointment and inconvenience of sending a laptop out for repair, it's sometimes necessary to take advantage of that warranty.

Jim

surfcast14

Jim - while would generally agree with you (and may give it one more shot),but my unit has already been back once just 30 days after I received it on another issue. The irony of having to pay full postage on a brand new machine (not true for full size laptops) and having to rebuild from scratch was just annoying enough to deter me from sending it back a second time. Probably short sighted on my part -- but my tolerance is fairly low from (supposedly) strong brands that don't deliver accordingly. So last week (after seeing this thread) I decided to call and make an inquiry at least - the first thing they wanted was my credit card. Just too frustrating.
jbwilliams

I've had my NB305 for a few months hoping the keyboard function would improve with use. IT HAS NOT!!! I'm about ready to throw this thing out the window!! Its' so frustrating. I spent more for a Toshiba thinking it would be superior to the competition. WRONG!! Should have bought the cheaper Acer - at least its' keyboard functions as it should. Has anyone heard if Toshiba is addressing this issue?

jbwilliams

Jim,

What happened to "customer service" at Toshiba?  Is telling us to send in our machines (most of which, if not all,  are less than a year old and still in warranty) to have them repaired your answer to the problem? Based on posts in "Toshiba Forums" this is not an isolated problem. Whether its' a hardware, software or design issue is a matter for Toshiba to determine and find a remedy. The consumer should not have to bear the cost and inconvenience of returning the product for repair. Your product was purchased in good faith. All of us purchased your product because of a superior reputation for quality, performance, reliability and "customer service". If the action taken thus far to remedy the problem is all Toshiba is willing to provide, then its' crystal clear how Toshiba views its' customers. 

You have an opportunity to create Toshiba customers for life. Do the right thing and stand behind your products. Don't just tell us to "get them fixed"!!

John Williams