Steve116277

NB255-n245 ram upgrade

Hello all,

My wife and I just purchased a model NB255-N245 netbook.  The specs claim the processor (Intel Atom 455) can handle DDR3 memory but the unit comes equipped with DDR2.

What I want to know is- can I upgrade the 1gb DDR2 ram to 2gb DDR3.  I need to know if the Atom 455 can indeed handle DDR3 and if the motherboard can handle DDR3.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: NB255-n245 ram upgrade

While the processor can use DDR3, that specific motherboard can not.  It only has a single DDR2 memory slot as per the detailed specs for that model. 

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/toshiba_miniNB255-N245.pdf

I recommend either Kingstons KTT800D2/2G (do NOT get their KVR line) or Crucial.  You want a 2gig stick of PC2-5300 or PC2-6400, preferably PC2-6400 for optimal performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

LarryBeckley

Re: NB255-n245 ram upgrade

Steve116277,

I purchased my NB255-N245 in December of '10, along with a 2GB 200 Pin DDR2 SODIMM (256Mx64PC2-5300) Crucial memory module. I used this to replace the factory installed 1GB module prior to the first time I booted the system.

I have had no memory related problems whatsoever. My overall user experience to date has been a good one. No response issues to report.

If my success comes as a source of annoyance, please accept my apology. I hope that my feedback might, in some small way, provide you with something approximating positive insight.