1doc

NB 305 terribly slow

NB 305 terribly slow all updates installed. Where do I start. And after reading all the post I'm wondering if I picked the wrong computer. Is there a performance or test standard.

kevlarian

Re: NB 305 terribly slow

"Terribly Slow" is relative. I ride a 100+ hp sport bike that will do 0-60 in 3.5s. For me, a Porche is terribly slow. For you it might be the fastest thing you have ever been in...

Is there a specific task or activitiy that you can point to? Do you have some context around that? I have an NB205 (the predicessor to the the NB305). The NB205 is very similar to the NB305. The NB305 has an updated processor and video card, but otherwise they are very similar.

My NB205 is quick, and responsive for me. I can view video (even some HD content) without a problem. I even do simple photo and video editing on it.  It is no where NEAR the speed as my DELL M4500 with a Core i5 Processor and 8GB RAM; If I compare them side by side... the NB205 will be "terribly slow", but then again, it is a Netbook.

I would love to help you resolve your "problem" with the NB305, but can you be a bit more specific?

Thanks!

1doc

Everything is slow slow to boot slow to load any window or to boot up. Relatively speaking I have a 5 year old desk top. And a 4 year old lap. Now I have this supper slow net book.

Occasional Contributor
cyberqueen

You haven't said what the processor is like on your desktop or your laptop.  I have a four-year-old desktop, and it's slow compared to today's powerhouse desktop computers, but its 3.2 GHz processor is still much faster than the 1.66GHz processor in the NB305 netbook.  I think that's why I too find my NB305 netbook slower than I had expected.  Not excruciatingly slow, but less peppy than I had hoped it would be.

Dr_Unreal

What's your "Windows Expeience Index" CPU sub score? It should be pretty close to 3.1 for the N550. Mine was also terribly slow (with a WEI CPU score of 1.7!).

Occasional Contributor
ken1943

I also have a NB-305 and a Asus netbook 900HA , that came with XP, that I put Win 7 on. The Asus is about twice as fast as the NB-305, overall. Both have the same exact software installed. I did a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Home Preminum. I was thinking about doing a clean install of Home to get rid of all the Toshiba crap. The biggest problem is the time it takes to get a connection from my wireless router. The Atheros drivers are up to date, or is it just the nic that stinks. I tried to uninstall the Toshiba utilities and nothing changed, except for error events.
Ken1943
renato13

I installed windows 7 home premium on the NB305. I am able to install other necessary drivers except the graphics driver. Can anyone provide any insight? The driver I have tried to install is tc40146700b.exe. As it attempts to load I get the error message that says my computer is not compatible with this version of windows.

Thanks for any help.