billyh49

NB-305 Netbook Compatitbility (?) w/ Seagate 750GB Momentus HDD & Windows 7

My Toshiba netbook (Model NB-305) was having troubles, and I decided it would be best to reinstall the Windows 7 Starter operating system from scratch with the help of the two Toshiba Recovery Media (NB300 Series, 32-bit, 2010).  In the process, I felt the machine would work better and faster if I upgrade the default 250GB hard disk drive with the Seagate Momentus XT.  It is a newer, larger, 750GB unit having 8GB solid-state SLC NAND flash storage.

When I installed the Toshiba Recovery Media, it went through the entire process successfully, and everything initially seemed OK.  When I booted up the system and ran some test, I learned the Windows Update function did not work.  The system error message stated,

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer."

Checking the system, I determined the Windows Update service WAS running.  

Suspecting there was something faulty with the first installation, I again began from scratch, erased the 750GB Seagate destination drive, and reinstalled the Windows 7 Starter discs.  The result was the same (i.e., same message and I was still not able to get Windows Update to work).

To eliminate the possibility of the Recovery Discs being the problem, I decided to revert back and install the O/S on an older, smaller SATA drive without the SLC NAND flash storage.  Interestingly, it went through the process, and the Windows Update function worked!

As the ONLY difference was changing out the hard disk drive, I wonder if there is known compatibility problem between the Toshiba NB-305 netbook and the Seagate Momentus XT drive with Windows 7.  Thoughts anyone???

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: NB-305 Netbook Compatitbility (?) w/ Seagate 750GB Momentus HDD & Windows 7

Seagate Momentus XT ...  the Windows Update function did not work.

A classic case of what often happens when you restore to an advanced-format drive.

Always tell which NB305 you have when you post here. There is a label on the bottom. (I want to see whether your restore disc includes SP1.)

-Jerry
billyh49

Jerry, thanks for your prompt response.  

The label on the bottom of the netbook reads,
Model No.   NB305-N410BL

Part No.      PLL3AU-00G00C

Hope that helps!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB305-N410BL

I forgot to ask whether your networking works. It often doesn't under these circumstances. If not, you'll need to download the storage driver using another computer and transfer the files using a thumb drive or optical disc.

Follow these instructions.

1. The main thing you need to install is a new disk driver. It should permit Windows Update.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

2. Update Windows, including SP1.

3. Apply this hotfix if it's not yet been installed.

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Form...

4. Finally, check that the partition boundaries are optimized.

Samsung Advanced Format Utility

Let us know how it goes.

-Jerry
billyh49

Jerry, thanks for your answer.  After looking for, and finding, the needed Intel Rapid Storage Technology disk driver, it did the trick.  The problem was solved and the machine is working beautifully once again!  Thanks a lot!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to learn all is well now, Billy.

Please add a summary of what happened to the basic thread on this subject. Your experience with that netbook may very well help others.

After Restoring to New Hard Disk, No Windows Update - a Fix

Thank you!

-Jerry