Occasional Contributor
cyberqueen

Can I remove these Toshiba programs from my NB305?

[ Edited ]

Like many other people, I've been disappointed with the molasses-slow behavior of my NB305 netbook.  It's slow in every respect: startup, shutdown, opening programs, running programs, etc.  Everything takes much longer than it should.  I know that the underpowered processor is the main culprit, and there's not much I can do about that.  Adding memory did not help at all.  I'm trying to figure out whether I can improve performance even a little by getting rid of all or most of the programs Toshiba loaded on to this underpowered paperweight.  In particular, I'm wondering  which programs I need to keep, if any.  I don't want to get rid of something I truly need, but I suspect that most of the following don't fall into that category (the list comes from Revo Uninstaller's list of installed programs):

TOSHIBA Assist

TOSHIBA ConfigFree

TOSHIBA eco Utility

TOSHIBA Flash Cards Support Utility

TOSHIBA Hardware Setup

TOSHIBA HDD Protection

TOSHIBA SSD Alert

TOSHIBA Media Controller

TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor

TOSHIBA Quality Application

TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator

TOSHIBA ReelTime

TOSHIBA Supervisor Password

TOSHIBA USB Sleep and Charge Utility

TOSHIBA Value Added Package

TOSHIBA Web Camera Application

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

Re: Can I remove these Toshiba programs from my NB305?

The most important to keep, in my opinion, are the Toshiba Value Added Package and Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility. You should also create a set of recovery media before removing the Recovery Media Creator.

- Peter
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

THIS Support Bulletin explains what they are all for.  You decide but definitely listen to Peter's advice.

C .B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Occasional Builder
Bi-Ill

I believe you can safely remove all the programs listed. However, I would advise you against removing several of the programs since Toshiba is a better prospect for its hardware than other third party developers. Nevertheless, if you are confident that other programs are compatible with your hardware and will perform the functions you want or need, I don't think there should be any problem removing those programs. I do like their utilities but you also have RevoUninstaller so that can allow you to perform some of the same functions using the Windows OS features. Also, Toshiba's recovery app should not be removed in case you wish to reinstall components that came with your system at a later date. Good luck.

Bill5960

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Bill5960
Occasional Contributor
cyberqueen

I'm very embarrassed that it has taken me so long to reply.  MANY THANKS to Peter, cbwilsha, and Bill for your helpful replies.   I'm beginning to think, though, that even removing many of these programs would not give the netbook the zip it needs.  The processor is simply too weak.  I think the answer is to look for a more powerful ultra-lightweight computer.  It's been more than three years since I bought the netbook; I'm hoping that in that time, some much more powerful but equally light weight machines have become available.

Peter

While the term "netbook" isn't used much anymore, you may want to look at Ultrabooks. The term refers to Intel-based laptops that are very thin and light but still powerful. Good luck with your future purchases!

- Peter