The_Pensive

Touch screen issues

I just got the W105 and was having a good time with it but starting having some issues with the touch screen. Currently the bottom inch of the lower screen is unresponsive so I can't manipulate anything on the start menu, taskbar, etc. Anyone else see anything similar?

realistic

Re: Touch screen issues

Have you tried going into the Tablet PC settings in the control panel and run a calibration?

I had some similar problem but it went away after a reboot and calibration.

kdeancom

I've had the W105 for a week now, and I'm having a recurring problem with the touchscreens after waking from sleep/hibernation.  About 50% of the time, opening the Libretto after its been closed for a while causes the touchscreens to stop working. 

The Upper touchscreen works, but with limited functionality.  It works like a trackpad, the cursor follows your finger, but you cannot long-press for the contextual menu and multi-touch gestures don't work.

The Lower touchscreen also works like a trackpad the same way, but it operates the cursor on the Upper screen only.  This means the keyboard can be activated with the hardware button, but you cannot type.

Seems like a driver issue, but I haven't yet found a way to reset the driver without a full shut-down and reboot.

Screen calibration through the touchscreen settings does not work, it doesn't register any touch when the calibration targets appear.

The_Pensive

Yeah, I've used the Tablet PC settings in Control Panel, and that actually made the issue worse. Now, when I try to use it, I can't even tap the lower grid points to calibrate, so I'm stuck in calibration mode. I just have to exit out from there.

shph

I've had this happen on one occasion (bottom screen unresponsive to touch). I turned the libretto off, using the power button, then back on. It was ok when it booted back up.

The_Pensive

Unfortunately after a dozen or so restarts and other attempted fixes I have seen no improvement. Got in touch with tech support, and they seem to think it's a hardware issue. In the process of attempting to get an exchange now, providing there are any out there to exchange for...

kdeancom

I've tried something that seems to be working.  Previously, deliberately putting the libretto in sleep mode would cause the touch panels to stop working correctly.  In the hardware manager, under Human Interface Devices, there are two listings for USB Input Device.  These are the touch digitizers.  On the properies panel for each of these, there is a Power Management tab.  I UNchecked the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

So far, so good.  The touchscreens continue to work after putting it to sleep.  Will update this post if it happens again.

Occasional Contributor
Seabreeze

Please let us know what this does to your battery life.

I am having the same problem.  I've had mine for 12 days now.  I guess I am "lucky" in that I can close it a second time, let it just stop, reopen and have the screens work.

halo312

I also had that weird bug when I tried to calibrate the touch screen. Bottom screen would be flipped and reversed. When I touched the bottom screen, it would act like I was touching the top screen. I had done a few tests to see what did/didn't work. With only one screen working I tried only using the top screen by itself ( worked OK). Then the bottom screen by itself (worked OK too).  None of the dual screen settings worked. A few things I tried to fix this problem includes: trying to calibrate touch screen again, rebooting, last settings that worked, safe mode, but none had worked.  I had decided to call Toshiba tech support. A nice lady answered but she couldn't help me so she said a level two tech would call me. No call since then.  :smileysad:  Finally I did a system restore to factory settings and here I am typing this with my Libretto.  So as a warning DO NOT GO TO: CONTROL PANEL/ TABLET PC SETTINGS/ CALIBRATE. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in the near future. Other than that I love this freakin UMPC! 

kdeancom

Update: I took the Libretto with me on a trip this week.  The driver tweak to diable the computer from powering down the touchscreens seems to have little impact to battery life.  It lasted over 2 hrs while using it to read (same as before), and there was no noticable drain while leaving it on but closed for several hours.  I haven't had the touchscreens fail since making the change.

2disbetter

I was having this issue as well. I'm going to try to disable the power management option you mentioned. Hopefully that works. I would say this is NOT a hardware issue. Mearly a software implementation issue.

Still love this thing!

2d