jtrofemuk

unmountable boot volume

I have an older toshiba laptop (satellite m35x s3112) running xp that worked fine for internet usage. after trying to run one of the norton utilities cleaning tools the computer began rebooting into a continuous loop. after turning of the automatic restart i get a blue screen of death error message (UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME). I have tried booting up from my original toshiba manufacturers recovery cd with no luck. it only gives me the option to reinstall the entire os ("restore the original default system"), but even when i hit yes (i.e., first F1, then "C") on those options it begins rebooting in the loop.

i have tried to use my norton internet security 2010 cd recovery tool (will not work). I cannot get to a c: command prompt to run chkdsk or the like. I can get an a:\ prompt, but it says when i go to c: that it is an invalid drive, even though i know the c: drive is still there (using a vcom recovery tool i can see the hard drive and access files, but i cannot even reformat or erase the hard drive because of the error).

Any help would be appreciated.

Occasional Contributor
winxpuser50

Re: unmountable boot volume

I don't know if I have any help for you, just my own experiences.  I am running a slightly newer (5 yrs old) Toshiba L35 S2161 and also just got the unmountable boot volume and blue screen.  I've been dealing with this situation for over a week now.  Someone at CNET forum told me to get a boot CD called Knoppix...I tried it, did not work.  My system just ignored the CD and went right back into the blue screen and reboot cycle. 

I am running Win XP and my laptop only came with the toshiba recovery disc.  I did not want to run that as it will wipe out all my files and I am trying to keep the data on my drive which I stupidly did not back up because I thought the "recovery" disc was a way to recover files, but it just wipes out everything if I run it, so I removed it when the screen came up.  Apparently you couldn't even get THAT to run when you tried it...hmmmm.

I personally have run out of options and time so am having to pull the drive and put in a new one and transfer the data from the old drive to the new drive.  I used the diagram the other guy gave you to locate the drive (none of my toshiba manuals showed where the hdd was) and so I'm going to buy a SATA drive, put it in and then either copy or clone the old drive onto it.  That's as far as I've gotten.  I've never done anything this complex before so don't know yet what my next step is.  I haven't yet bought a new drive.  Since you were going to run the recovery disk, apparently you don't need to back up or save your old data which makes your job a bit easier, you aren't worried about trying to salvage important stuff.  But yet, you still need to have a working computer. 

Unfortunately it sounds like you may indeed have to buy a new drive and put it in which you can either do yourself or take it in and have it done.  It's probably something simple wrong with the boot file, but I can't get the Knoppix CD to boot mine up...maybe it would work for you.  You can order one for $3.95, a Live CD...it's supposedly to be a great tool for booting up dead computers, crashed drives, etc.  Well, it didn't work for me....and it might not for you either but you could try it.  They also have a forum knoppix.net  I really had my hopes up but NADA...either the CD wasn't burned properly at the factory or the Toshiba system simply won't read it or there's some other problem with my system.

Let me know how things are going, maybe we can walk each other thru this....thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite M35X-S3112 

Bug Check 0xED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

That's one of the better STOP errors in Windows XP. I've recovered from it several times by booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r. (It runs for quite a long time.)

See KB555302 and KB297185.

Good luck!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
winxpuser50

It's good to know that's one of the better errors :smileyhappy:  Everywhere else I read it sounds like the error of death lol...

unfortunately I don't have a WinXP boot disc for a variety of reasons (see another post I just made to you on this ongoing saga)....

I did try to use a netbook I'm using to test out the old drive with my external enclosure...thought maybe I could go into DOS and run chkdsk/r from there but it wouldn't  change the drive from C: to D: in Dos running cmd on an Acer netbook with the Toshiba drive hooked up to it for testing/repair purposes.  May be some compability problem but never could get DOS to recognize the D: drive so I could do chkdsk while waiting for my new hard drive to be shipped.  soooooooooooo, I'm still hanging in there and troubleshooting this thing!  Your advice is much appreciated!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So you multiple-posted the same problem. That makes for confusion.

See the other thread for how to use a floppy to reach the Recovery Console. 

-Jerry