cch067

toshiba default start page

[ Edited ]

I've had the default Toshiba partnerpage with Google as my homepage for the last 2 years, which I had personalized to include a notepad in which I jotted down my to-do list, or other little data points I wanted to remember.  Recently, Toshiba has revamped this homepage - WITHOUT ANY WARNING - and now I can't find my notepad, which had some info which now seems to be lost. 

Can anyone tell me if its possible to recover the info on my notepad (or even my entire old homepage...I don't like the new one at all!)? HELP!!!

missyb999

Re: toshiba default start page

[ Edited ]

I also need my old Toshiba homepage back.  Toshiba should  provide a choice between the two homepages. 

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Hi cch067,

My understanding is that notification of the (then) upcoming change was provided via the Toshiba widget that was initially, by default, on that Google "partnerpage" or start page.  Of course, the page could be customized and that widget may have been removed.

Try logging in at www.google.com/ig and let us know if any personalized content is available to you that way.  I expect you'd need to reconfigure that page and add whatever widgets you want to have installed to it, but perhaps any Google-provided services based on a unique login would still be available via this URL.  

If you do look into that possibility, let us know what you find in case others stop in here looking for the same info.

Jim

aussieguy

Re: Toshiba default start page

Hi have also  lost my Toshiba /Google start up page As I would like my old start up page back As I also had sticky notes and my personal touches to may page ...I hope Toshiba works away to return to my details ...thanks

aussieguy

Hello Jim I've tried the link that you provided and nothing saved there ...Is there away that Toshiba can put back the old version to the start up page so we can backup our notes and so on thanks again for the info .....

Administrator
jim

The start page relationship with the supplier of the previous page is no longer in effect so there's no way to switch back. 

Jim

hollihawk

Well I'm glad I'm not alone on this issue. I spent the better part of 9/16 trying to contact Toshiba and find out where all my personal information (sticky notes) had gone. NOBODY could help me since it was all technical support folks. I was directed to Toshiba public relations where I sent an email. No response to date.

I cannot believe that Toshiba would totally change the start page without any warning to save one's "sticky note" information. I had some important stuff saved there and no one at Toshiba seems to care at all about it. I'm very upset about what has transpired.

Thank you for letting me vent!

Bruce Taylor

Murray, KY 

Administrator
jim

Hi Bruce,

Notification of the upcoming change was provided via a Toshiba widget that was on the start page by default, so there was that attempt to let everyone know of the upcoming change.

I think what you're experiencing in your contacts is not that no one at Toshiba cares, but that there's simply nothing anyone can do to reinstate the previous start page. The previous provider of the start page service has discontinued offering this type of partnership service so the start page had to be changed.

Jim

cch067

Hi Jim,

I think its a bit ridiculous that Toshiba tried to notify everyone via a widget which most of us have probably removed once we decided to personalize our start pages.  Toshiba has our contact info (isnt that why we register with Toshiba.com, and why we provide all sorts of personal contact info?!), so they could have easily sent out a global email.  

They certainly know how to contact me when they want to advertise laptop sales, you'd think they could extend the same courtesy when they plan to make such a major change that implies the loss of information stored on my home page! 

Best, C.

Administrator
jim

cch067,

Good point about the possibility of an email notification.  I think we've learned something here from the feedback and will do a better job at this type of thing next time.  Sorry for any trouble resulting from the start page change.

Jim

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

The problem isn't that Toshiba changed the start page, but that users didn't bother to backup that information.  If it was that important it sure doesn't make any sense to not have another copy of it backed up to a text file someplace. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

dexterwebn

Hey everybody. I know this is late but there are those URLs. You have two but they both end up the exact same place (http://start.toshiba.com). So you can set your homepage to that or use one of the others.

This is the direct start page.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/dpdstart

This is the Google partner start page.

http://partnerpage.google.com/toshibadirect.com

Hope this helps!

txbbqman

Those aren't the homepage I am seeking....and Toshiba support is of no help....after almost two hours and one disconnect.  The homepage I am seeking had the Toshiba buttons and gadgets which could be added or deleted, without all the 'stuff' on the page that the above links supply.  That page was the only good thing that happened after my Qosmio was

reloaded by a Toshiba tech, losing everything I had while on a trip. last wknd.  When I went to save it, I ended up with a Google home page instead.  Time to start writing letters?

bobpodes

For the future, you can save the bulletin boards by "print screen, copy to paint, save to paint".

I cannot help you. But I thought I had done something wrong when I lost my Toshiba bulletin boards and info on them and I had used them for only a month.

The only other security for security of preserving the sticky note info is to duplicate them on notebook.com.

I thought that I had accidentally wiped out the Toshiba bulletin boards when I backed up my computer.  I was feeliing very guilty of being so stupid. 

bobpodes

bobpodes

Thank you for the info tags.

bobpodes

Regular Contributor
cat1092

Though I deleted it from my Toshiba due to the number of ads, I kept the link. 

http://start.toshiba.com/

The good thing about the page is that the user's local news & weather is available. 

I deleted the page because my default homepage was the MSN one & didn't see the need for 2 pages to load everytime I started IE or Google Chrome. The content is fine. 

And you can login & personalize your home page, just like the one that shipped with your Toshiba. 

Late post, but seen the topic & felt it best to share.

Cat

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Unfortunately, that is NOT ehe start page that people are complaining about losing. If you had actually read the entire thread prior to posting you would have known that the link you provided is to a different start page, not the one that was discontinued 4 years ago. That start page hasn't been available since the the partner who provided the page stopped doing so with people losing information that they had saved on a notepad or sticky type note on that page because they had failed to keep a copy of that information anywhere else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.