abishot

how to reinstall vista on Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656 no disc

Hi guys! I hope someone could help me with my problem. I want to buy this Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656  from someone  but she does not have the restore dics for it.  There's a pre-installed windows vista  in it, the it gets stuck on the start up screen everytime you turn it on due to a virus that she got last time she used it. Does anyone here knows how to restore and reinstall the OS on the said laptop model? PlEASE HELP??? All response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: how to reinstall vista on Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656 no disc

These are the specs: Satellite A135-S4656

This is the user's manual: Satellite A130/A135 Series User's Guide

Order the recovery discs from Toshiba Customer Support at (800) 457-7777. You'll need the machine's serial number and a credit card.

-Jerry
abishot

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I read the manual and found out that you can actually restore without the disc since the OS is on its partition. I guess I won't get any reply here because nobody else know the solution or they just want their services to be paid?? Anyway, I still hope someone can give me insights. When I turn on my laptop the TOSHIBA Logo freezes. At the bottom it says: Press F2 for SETUP  and F12 for bood device options but neither of them work, after you select one of em it just says PLEASE WAIT forever and ever. I figured out the restore discs wont do it so I did not order them yet. Any possible solution... ANYONE??? Please.. and Thanks in advance!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I figured out the restore discs wont do it..

What led you to this conclusion?

Time to verify that you can boot from a bootable CD when you turn the power on. Do that.

-Jerry
brokenstuff

I am having the same problem with an A135-S4467. No, it will not boot from a CD, even a recovery CD that is supposed to run via the ram. I think its a mobo issue but I'm not sure.

Anyone know?

PS: to the original poster, I've never heard of a virus that would lock you out at that point in the system. 

abishot

Hey broken stuff! The virus was my first suspect but as time pass by I think it's the mobo.. you're right I guess. Darn the mobo is quite expensive on ebay, I wish there's something else we can do... better sell it for parts I guess ei???

abishot

Brokenstuff, I asked a friend who's a tech guy. He told me to press esc key while turning the laptop on, then release it, press F2 you'll get into BIOS. I thought I might be able to select a boot device from there but won't let me. Try the F5 to go to safe mode if it will do it to you, mine did not. I'll let you know if I got more info. :smileywink:
Josepe

If the original Restore partitions was lost, the F2 or Shift-F8 will not work.

You can ask a friend if have a OEM Vista cd (same version Home, Business, etc to installa is a clonic machine)

Install in your Toshiba using same Vista key of Toshiba. Download the respective drivers from Toshiba site.

To prepare the hard disk you can boot with Ontrack Disk Wizard cd or the free Acronis DW 11 from Seagate

http://rapidshare.com/files/194009607/Acronis-SeagateDW-1108188.iso.html

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A135-S4467 

it will not boot from a CD, even a recovery CD..

If the drive is not dead, check the BIOS for a booting order. The CD should be before the hard drive.

In many Toshiba machines, you can hold down the C key during boot instead of fixing the order.

-Jerry
abishot

You're right Josepe, F2 and F8 does not work. I only have the Upgrade disc, No restore discs either. I Don't get why the Restore Partitions got lost since we swapped the hard drive on my other toshiba laptop the OS was there and is working.  Is there any other way I can restore it without the vista disc?

Jerry, I can not select a boot device from BIOS. I tried that to no avail. I'm not sure what to do next, but there's a software on ebay that claims to  boot any computer. 

Thanks guys! 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can not select a boot device from BIOS.

Sounds like you've got a hardware failure. Time for service.

-Jerry
brokenstuff

A friend of mine is looking into mobo's for me. I don't think it's a matter of reloading the op sys because it doesn't appear to get to a point where it ever even tries the drive. If that makes sense. I've got a usb hdd case on the way to make sure the hdd is viable (which I'm 99% positive it is). If it is, then yes, the mobo is dead. Abi, you might consider finding someone that can test the chips/capacitors/etc  on the board and see if you can pinpoint what part is bad. It's cheaper then an entirely new board. Some laptop repair places offer fairly cheap diagnostics for that also. I just haven't committed myself yet. :smileyvery-happy: The other thing that I heard at least with my model was that sometimes when parts on the board go bad, leaving the machine to get hot may actually help it boot? Didn't work for me but perhaps it will for you. Worth a shot anyway right? I tried that, removing the wireless card (apparently if the seat is wrong it can cause a boot issue), tested both ram slots with several sets of viable ram, and a linux cd..... no dice.

Remember sometimes it pays to fix it yourself (if out of warranty of course) - for example, a no power machine is usually the powerjack which is a simple solder that repair shops charge at least 75$(usually much higher) for, and the part is actually under about 2$. 

Good luck, keep me posted if you figure out yours and I will do the same if I manage to fix mine.