vanilla73
Accepted Solution

cant burn cds

i have a toshiba satellite a205-s5804. i have burned cds in the past, but tried recently and it would not work. i even went as far as to use the recovery disc to erase everything thinking i might have a virus and they dont work. several different errors pop up when i take the disc out and put it back in.can someone please please help i am about to rip my hair out trying to figure out what to do.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: cant burn cds

Can you burn DVDs?  What (if any) error messaged do you get when trying to burn disks?  What brand of disks are you using?  What speed are you burning them at?  Have you tried cleaning the drive with compressed air and/or a lens cleaner disk?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

vanilla73

Re: can't burn cds

DVD's play but I never tried to burn one. No CDs play. I have Memorex CD-RW discs(brand new)that I have been trying to burn on the fastest speed , which is the way I burned before. When I put CD in the drive it keeps saying there is no disc in drive put blank disc in and try again. When I  try to use the recovery disc it will give me different error messages some of them are: ERROR: INSTALL.INI  Section names exceed 32 kb or missing closing bracket.  Section:0 Key: Description File . Description file "d:\COMPSI\Adobe Acrobat . Reader 0\TEXT\desc.txt" not found. Other times the drive will say there is a blank disc in drive when it is not, it is the recovery disc.

vanilla73

vanilla73

I have tried cleaning the drive too.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Try going into Device Manager and uninstalling the DVD/CD drive then reboot the computer to have Windows automatically re-install it.  This often times clears up problems with the optical drives. 

Another thing to try is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.  It's actually for a different problem but it's worth trying. 

If neither of these helps you probably have a drive that is failing and will need to be replaced. Unfortunately Toshiba's tend to have problem with standard optical drives due to firmware issues and usually need a Toshiba Specific optical drive.

Here are two good sources for Toshiba parts.

National Parts Depot

Spare Parts Warehouse

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.