tombry

Windows XP on l305-s5955

I purchased this laptop because it was cheep. I use it in a lab with software written for our lab equipment. I found that some of our software will not run under Vista. Some of our old computers run XP and work fine. Is there XP available for this laptop?

rowboatsynclair

Re: Windows XP on l305-s5955

i want want to know this.

i have the Windows XP installer disk, and tryed to boot it up through that, and everything went fine until the end where it gave me a blue screen. what else do i need for it to install XP?

lcc
lcc

In order to install xp, the bios must be changed - in the Advanced tab, at the bottom, is the "SATA Controller Mode"; it defaults to <AHCI>, this needs to be changed to <Compatibility>.

I found this out the hard way.  Even though it is probably not necessary, while I was trying to figure out why the xp cd installation disc kept saying is was "protecting the computer", I tried using a bootable cd to dos with FDISK and FORMAT on it.  My laptop contained 3 partitions: the 1st and 3rd where unused, so I deleted all 3 partitions (oh, by the way, before I did all this, just in case, I created 3 dvd's for recovery of vista & installed applications so I could hopefully recover back to the original if all else failed). 

Well, after changing the SATA entry in the BIOS, I was able to install xp/sp3.  Oops, the ethernet (both cable and wireless) would not appear in xp.  Went to the Toshiba website and found this:

Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955

DATE:                       CATEGORY:                       TITLE:

10-22-2008                  Bluetooth                         Config Free (32/64bit) (v7.2.20; 10-09-2008; 34M)

LAN
                                    Toshiba Utility
                                    Utility
                                    WAN
                                    Wi-Fi

-------------------------------------------

BUT, it is only available for Vista!!!  There is no XP version.  So now I'm trying to find an xp version - I'm not "holding my breath".  The next step is to see if there is an ethernet ExpressCard, and how expensive that is going to be (I had already typed PCMCIA slot, since that is what I am most familiar with, but those ?!~?>" people keep changing things - I think there is a converter from ExpressCard to PCMCIA).

Hope this helps - now, if someone could just point me to an xp/sp3 compatible WAN driver...

lcc

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L305-S5955 

if someone could just point me to an xp/sp3 compatible WAN driver...

This one should work.

Realtek Wireless Lan Driver for Windows XP, 6.1158.0113.2009, 23/07/09

realtek-wlan-6115801132009.zip

-Jerry
tombry

Thanks for the install instructions. I need something a little more literal. Is there XP available for this computer. Does Toshiba offer an OEM version or do I have to go by it?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

You have to go out and purchase a copy.  Once you get that copy you need to make sure that the install disk is at least Service Pack 1 level or higher and integrate your SATA drivers into the disk.  Complete instructions and SATA drivers can be found here.  Trying to use the BIOS switch method doesn't always work properly and can cause stability problems and a loss of performance. 

Toshiba only offers XP on a select few BUSINESS class systems that can be found here.  They do not offer the XP Upgrade from Vista on regular laptops due to restrictions put in place by Microsoft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

rowboatsynclair

(Q) which drivers exactly do i need?

(Q) where should i then put them?

do i then just run the Windows XP installer disk?

thank you so much Cee_64, you're a very helpful person.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Go to the page I linked to and READ it.  It explains what you need to do in great detail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

rowboatsynclair

Nlite does not have a website anymore.

what should i do?

i'm also unsure about the SATA/RAID deal, and what i have... i'm a novice when it comes to hardware D:

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Download nLite here.  You do NOT have raid, just SATA.  If you just do what the page tells you to do you will be fine.  If you can't do that you might be better off taking it to someone who can or stick with Vista. 

Some people try to use switch from AHCI mode to Compatability mode in the bios to get around this.  It does hurt the performance but it is worth a try if you aren't willing to do do the work involved in creating a proper Windowsx XP Disk.  It isn't that difficult to do.

toshi_in_orl

In order to install xp, the bios must be changed - in the Advanced tab, at the bottom, is the "SATA Controller Mode"; it defaults to "AHCI", this needs to be changed to Compatibility.

Thanks - that tip worked. Been trying for 2 weeks to get XP to boot

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

toshi_in_orl wrote:

In order to install xp, the bios must be changed - in the Advanced tab, at the bottom, is the "SATA Controller Mode"; it defaults to "AHCI", this needs to be changed to Compatibility.

Thanks - that tip worked. Been trying for 2 weeks to get XP to boot

That is one way to do it, but not the best way by a long shot as you lose performance.  If you read my previous posts you'll find links to the RIGHT way to install XP in AHCI mode so that you retain all of the performance.  I've used that method on well over a thousand installs of XP on laptops and desktops and it has NEVER failed. 

Occasional Contributor
pepper7144

cee    thanks for the mother load of info on nLite and the links you provided in this post.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

pepper7144 wrote:

cee    thanks for the mother load of info on nLite and the links you provided in this post.

No problem.  Hoped it helped.

Occasional Contributor
pepper7144

cee_64  

I have used nLite to slipstream before, I had lost all my notes and links to the HOW_TO for it. From what I have seen in this section it would help to place an "always on the top" thread explaining that XP does not have SATA drivers. Then include the steps to find and intergrate the right drivers into an installation disk. Or maybe an official "how to document" for this purpose. Maybe even include the way to convert to European model #s so the computer specific drivers and utilities could be incorporated. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

As nice as that would be, I doubt that Toshiba would be willing to do that.  The only stickies are from Toshiba itself, and sense they don't officially support running XP on these newer laptops, and only support installing your OS from the Recovery Disks, the chances of them making this info a sticky is somewhere between slim and none.