Visitor-12

Toshiba Satellite with vista no internet connection

I own a Toshiba Satellite A215-S5829. My laptop can connect to my wireless motem/router, but not the internet. It can connect to the internet through an unsecured network nearby. My sister's laptop connects just fine and so does my mom's. I tried connecting to the motem through an Ethernet cable, but it still would not connect to the internet. Please help.

p.s. attached below is a picture of the Network and Sharing Center on the laptop when connected to my network, but not to the internet.

Peter

Re: Toshiba Satellite with vista no internet connection

First connect to your network. Then launch the command prompt that can be found in the start menu. Type "ipconfig/release" and let it finish. Next type "ipconfig/renew" and again, let it finish. Test the Internet.

If it still doesn't work, check your TCP/IP settings. On your machine, open the Network and Sharing Center. Click "Manage Network Connections." Open properties on one of your adaptors (wireless or wired, whichever you want to work on first), and open the properties on TCP/IP. Assuming your sister's laptop has everything selected to obtain settings automatically, pick the same settings here.

You could also try updating network drivers.

Realtek 10/100 8101E/Gigabit 8111B LAN Driver for Windows Vista

Atheros Mini PCI/PCIe Wireless Lan (802.11 a/b/g, b/g) Driver for Windows Vista

You may also want to check for a firmware update for your router.

- Peter
Visitor-12

Okay I tried doing the ipconfig/release, then renew, but that didn't work. So I went to manage network connections, properties, but I'm not sure what the TCP/IP settings are exactly. But the picture below shows what came up when I clicked on properties.

Thank you for your help so far :smileyhappy:

Peter

Sorry about not being clearer!

You are at the correct screen so far. From there, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TVP/IPv4)" and then click "Properties."

The default settings on the screen that pops up should have "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected. If that isn't the case and something is manually set, make sure to copy down the information in case we make any changes. We want these settings to match your sister's settings. Again, I'm assuming her computer's set to the default, but it might not be. Check her settings in the same way you checked your settings, and if her settings are different, update your settings to match. 

If you ended up making changes here to match her settings, test the network again.

Could you ever connect or has this problem always been present?

If you don't have any luck after checking the previous, could you hold your shift key, right-click on the desktop, and select "Open command window here." Now in the command prompt that opens, type "ipconfig/all >> ipconfig.txt" and do the same on your sister's computer (while connected to the network to which you're trying to connect). On each computer, there should now be a text file called "ipconfig.txt" on the desktop.

Open the one on your desktop. Click Edit -> Select All. Click Edit -> Copy. Back on the forum, click the mail icon at the upper-right. Click "Compose New Message." In the "Send  to" field, put "Peter" (without the quotes). For the subject, put "mine." In the body, right-click and select paste. Send that message. Then repeat that with the file from your sister's desktop but use the subject "sister's."

We'll see if we can learn anything from those.

- Peter
Peter

Thanks for the information in the PMs. Unfortunately, I don't see anything out of the ordinary there. Have you tried updating the drivers I mentioned in my earlier post? If not, try that. I'd also recommend checking your router for firmware updates. How to go about doing that would depend on the model.

- Peter