Occasional Contributor
mauriciod
Accepted Solution

Satellite A85 wrong OS, want to reinstall original XP

[ Edited ]

Hi friends,

In an automatic update Microsoft had detected Win XP Professional is installed instead Home Edition from factory.

I think original Win XP is in disk d: because there are two long named files, so I think I could start recovery procedure and then have this machine like the very first day.

File names in disk D:, are:

75df7a1dafd8cd4dec92850bd257
eed4c2b6170fa9f1196a523e5c65af

But, what if it isn't the original software? I could loose everything. Is there any way to download Win XP Home edition and/or legalize Win XP actual version with the key in Microsoft back label?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Please disregard my english.

Mauricio

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite A85 wrong OS, want to reinstall original XP

In an automatic update Microsoft had detected Win XP Professional is installed instead Home Edition from factory.  

..legalize Win XP actual version with the key in Microsoft back label?

Mauricio, please quote the exact message you receive from Windows Update. Best to attach a picture of it.

Which Satellite A85?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
mauriciod

Hi Jerry. Thank you for your answer.

This is a Satellite A85-S107 Part No. PSA82U-00R004.

In fact there was no message, but the Microsoft Blue Star indicating piracy. Then I saw Properties on My PC, the bottom label with Microsoft Windows Product Name and key...

After looking for the original recovery disks with no succeed, I realized this is a big problem. The installed Windows XP is the Professional Edition but Win XP Home Editionis the factory preinstalled one.

I think I'm losing all the original code installed...:smileysad:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A85-S107 

The installed Windows XP is the Professional Edition but Win XP Home Editionis the factory preinstalled one.

Windows Update does not care about that difference. If your Professional version is legitimate and has been properly activated, then everything is fine. Go here to check it out.

What is validation and how does it work?

You can purchase the recovery discs to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents from third-party vendors.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

Recovery-CD.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
mauriciod

Thanks again Jerry.

No, Win XP Professional isn´t legitimate one, the validation routine said it last time I choosed automatic updates. That´s why I´ve been looking for the recovery disks. The original Win XP was Home Edition.

I will try to find those disks through the links you provided me.

By the meanwhile, I´ll take an alternative option offered by Microsoft´s assistance, consisting in installing Win XP Home Edition using the original Product Key. I hope I don´t loose Toshiba´s and third party programs.

So, I think this is the best option, an of course the solution I was searching.

Best regards,

Mauricio

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I´ll take an alternative option offered by Microsoft´s assistance, consisting in installing Win XP Home Edition using the original Product Key.

The product key on the bottom of the laptop will not work for a retail copy of Windows.

Maybe Microsoft will issue a new one to you. They once did that for me.

I hope I don´t loose Toshiba´s and third party programs.

If you restore the hard drive or if you install another version of Windows, you will certainly need to replace what's there now.

That will remove everything on the disk, including applications and data files.

-Jerry