FlashJT
Accepted Solution

Restore Disk Contents?

Hello,

I just purchased an A305-S6872 from Bestbuy (evidently a Bestbuy specific model). I haven't opened it yet becasuse I have read a couple reviews (2 out of 50+) that say no restore disk is included with this model. Can anyone confirm this or prove it wrong? I always thought the all computers came with restore disks, but I may be wrong. I definitely don't want this computer if it doesn't have any kind of restore CD.

Assuming that a restore disk is included, what exactly is on it? I've read on these forums that it's not just a Vista reinstall CD, but a complete factory restore. Does this include all of the "junk" programs installed? Or will restoring just get me Vista and the drivers? I'm not a fan of all the "junk" programs that typically come with computers, and normally reformat the system as soon as I get it to get rid of that stuff. However, I'm wondering since this is a full factory restore, if it will install of the junk back on there too.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to open my new computer so bad, but can't afford to do so if there is no recovery disk included (15% restocking). 

Regular Advisor
iSkO

Re: Restore Disk Contents?

[ Edited ]

FlashJT wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased an A305-S6872 from Bestbuy (evidently a Bestbuy specific model). I haven't opened it yet becasuse I have read a couple reviews (2 out of 50+) that say no restore disk is included with this model. Can anyone confirm this or prove it wrong? I always thought the all computers came with restore disks, but I may be wrong. I definitely don't want this computer if it doesn't have any kind of restore CD.

Assuming that a restore disk is included, what exactly is on it? I've read on these forums that it's not just a Vista reinstall CD, but a complete factory restore. Does this include all of the "junk" programs installed? Or will restoring just get me Vista and the drivers? I'm not a fan of all the "junk" programs that typically come with computers, and normally reformat the system as soon as I get it to get rid of that stuff. However, I'm wondering since this is a full factory restore, if it will install of the junk back on there too.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to open my new computer so bad, but can't afford to do so if there is no recovery disk included (15% restocking). 

These are the extra software  based on the Detailed specs of the system. These can easily be uninstalled under Programs and Features.

Third-party Software

o TOSHIBA Game Console, designed by WildTangent®

o Sun® Java™ 2 Runtime Environment

o Adobe® Acrobat® Reader

o Google™ Desktop

o Google™ Toolbar

o Google™ Picasa™

o Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® 5 for TOSHIBA

o Computrace® LoJack® for Laptops

o PowerCinema for TOSHIBA

Trial Software

o Microsoft® Office Ready with Microsoft Office Professional 2007

60-day trial edition

o Norton 360™ All-In-One Security

o memeo AutoBackUp

Special Offers

o Amazon.com-Online Shopping

o Intuit® Quickbooks® Financial Center

o Skype™

o NetZero® Internet Service

Recovery Disc are actually being sent together with the package not unless the system came with a Recovery Image ( Can be accessed by pressing "0" ) also check if you have a preinstalled TOSHIBA RECOVERY CREATOR, that means you need to create your own recovery disc. You may call Customer Service 1-800-457-7777 for further information regarding recovery disc.

Message Edited by iSkO on 12-20-2008 05:02 PM

Thanks iSkO.

So when I do a recovery, will all of that third party software that you listed be installed back too? I really hate the bundled software that comes with all computers. I know it can be uninstalled, but that will leave still traces of it all over the computer (left over folders and registry entries).

Ideally, all I want is to be able to reinstall Vista and the drivers and start with a clean system to start with.

What is this recovery image you refer to? I've never heard of that.

Moral of the story...there is at least some way for me to reinstall Vista / recover the system if I ever need to, correct?

Regular Advisor
iSkO

FlashJT wrote:

Thanks iSkO.

So when I do a recovery, will all of that third party software that you listed be installed back too? I really hate the bundled software that comes with all computers. I know it can be uninstalled, but that will leave still traces of it all over the computer (left over folders and registry entries).

Ideally, all I want is to be able to reinstall Vista and the drivers and start with a clean system to start with.

What is this recovery image you refer to? I've never heard of that.

Moral of the story...there is at least some way for me to reinstall Vista / recover the system if I ever need to, correct?

Basically the restore disc contains the image of the system. Meaning everything that was included on the package will be reinstalled back. Vista, Drivers , Apps, and those software that was mentioned above.

There are system that was being shipped out with an image saved on the HDD. w/c means that you wont be needing any disc to restore your system to factory state. But almost all of the satellite systems being shipped  comes with a recovery disc. Once you open  the package check the disc right away. if you didnt received one call  Customer Service right away. They will be able to give you Options on what is needed to be done:smileywink:

Thanks again iSko!

I feel much better about opening the package now. It seems that there will at least be SOME way of recovering the system. I'm not terribly happy that I have to install all 3rd party software with the recovery, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do to avoid it. I'll just have to find some good registry cleaners and such to completely remove all of the "crumbs" after uninstalling all of the software I don't want.

Thanks!

Regular Advisor
iSkO

Your Welcome :smileywink: Glad to help you out on this.

i am SO new to computers. ahh

september 07 i bought a toshiba a200. dunno the last numbers. from walmart (baaad choice) but there was NO recovery disk in the paskage. and i had no idea i needed on. i didn't 'make' a copy from the computer.. whatever. ah

i got a bunch of viruses on the comp. i basically couldn't do anything so i gave it to my friend. he apparently has some sort of computer degree. (i don't think it;s true anymore). so he took my comp and i told him i wanted verything gone so i don't have viruses and **bleep**. and he installed xp. and EVERY file that was there is still there but it doesn't work.

my wireless internet doesn't work because of drivers... i just want my vista back. like when i got it from the store....

does anyone have any solutions..??

p.s. i don't own a phone to call support.

Super Advisor
brad

Borrow a phone?

Call 1-800-457-7777 and you should be able to order a replacement set of disks.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim