ducnhung

Need help install XP on Netbook NB305-N410

Need help install install XP on new netbook (NB305-N410). Got drivers info, started the process, now got error that it can't see "C" drive. Any suggestion on what I could be missing ? Install XP on this netbook is possible - correct ?

emmerc7

Re: Need help install XP on Netbook NB305-N410

Hi! Before trying to install XP on your NB305, re start your machine, click F2 while booting, go to BIOS and in advanced set the SATA Controler Mode to "Compatibility" go to the EXIT menu and exit saving Changes.

Now you will be able to install XP without problems. Once you have installed XP, you will need to instal the SATA driver. Go to the Intel site, to drivers and downloads and look for the iata96enu.exe driver for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology for the ICH7R/DH SATA.

Do a iata96enu.exe -a in the command line, you will find files unpacked at C:\Program Files\Intel\ and use them to update the driver at the device manager.

There at the Device Manager look for the IDE/ATAPI Controler, expand it and right click it, choose update driver and tell it "Install from a list of specific location", the choose "Include this location in the search" navegate to the place where you have the drivers, choose it and force the installer to accept it. Once you have done it, reboot the machine, go once again to the BIOS and set the SATA controler back to AHCI, save the changes, boot to XP and complete the setting of your machine.

The rest was just installing all the drivers.

All the best!

stanbone

I'm doing a clean install of XP also on a nb305, I followed your instructions but when I re-enable AHCI in the bios It will not boot-get a rapid bluescreen and goes to safe mode login screen. This is after install of SP3. any help appreciated. It boots OK after I go back to compatibility mode.

stanbone

OK- I figgered it out. I'm still kind of rusty with windows. Key word (which you included in your post) was FORCE windows to accept the driver. Got love now, thanks.

Chang

Hi,

I've got this beautiful new mini-laptop (nb305-n410wh) with a pre-installed win7-starter.

I'd like to replace it with my old xp (sp3), for which I have the installation cd (dvd?) disc.

To prepare for this task, I'm getting an external usb dvd reader and downloaded all (37 or more) driver (and app.) files from toshiba support website.

I have also checked the BIOS, and noticed that it has only three boot options: HD, FDD, and LAN.

Having read this thread and all the comments, it seemed to imply that the steps for the XP installation are straightforward; but I'm completely ignorant about this, and to me they are far from obvious.

Could you elaborate on those obvious and straightforward steps?

Thanks in advance.

--- Chang

stanbone

I used Boozet doubledriver to extract all of the toshiba drivers from the netbook before I started. This was for XP. If you have Win7 and you're going back to XP, You can't really use this. Just be sure to set SATA in BIOS to "compatibility", Not AHDI before you try to install the new OS. Your machine cannot use the higher performance AHDI setting until the driver is installed with the OS. You will have to go into the bios when you boot from the CD drive to tell it to use that device as boot. Of course, plug it in first before you boot or BIOS will not see it. After install you will have to force windows to take that intel SATA driver instead of the web or microsoft version in device manager (best way to access device manager is to right click on computer and select "manage"). Hope this helps.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB305-N410WH 

I'd like to replace it with my old xp (sp3), for which I have the installation cd (dvd?) disc.

Exactly what disc is that, Chang?

If it's an OEM recovery disc, it won't work. Those are tied to the motherboard for which they're created.

If it's a retail Windows XP CD, be careful in what order you install the drivers and utilities.

-Jerry
emmerc

Hi stanbone,

I used a brand new Windows XP SP3 installer and I did as I mentioned. I did the installation in compatibility mode, once all the HDD drivers I downloaded from Toshiba were installed I did as I mentioned:

"Once you have installed XP, you will need to instal the SATA driver. Go to the Intel site, to drivers and downloads and look for the iata96enu.exe driver for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology for the ICH7R/DH SATA.

Do a iata96enu.exe -a in the command line, you will find files unpacked at C:\Program Files\Intel\ and use them to update the driver at the device manager.

"There at the Device Manager look for the IDE/ATAPI Controler, expand it and right click it, choose update driver and tell it "Install from a list of specific location", the choose "Include this location in the search" navegate to the place where you have the drivers (Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology\Drivers\x32 [iaAHCI.inf]), choose it (ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI) and force the installer to accept it. Once you have done it, reboot the machine, go once again to the BIOS and set the SATA controler back to AHCI, save the changes, boot to XP and complete the setting of your machine."

I am writing this message from the aforementioned machine running WinXp SP3 in SATA AHCI mode.

I hope this helps you.

The limits of my knowledge are the frontiers of my ignorance!
(Toshiba P305-S8832, 4GB ram, 2HDD (500, 7200 rpm +500 5400 rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 // Toshiba NB305-N410BL, 2GB ram, 500GB 7200rpm HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1)
Chang

Hello Jerry,

Hi, I'm back with the real work, started since this morning.

I succeeded in installing xp-sp3 with a 2fg flash disk by following the instructions found on the page at

http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html

very clear steps except for the missed step of turning on the "compatible" mode for the SATA on the BIOS.

I then managed to install most of the drivers, only those basic ones, with the following order

- Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility:   TC40071300A.exe

- Intel Display Driver:   TC40101900A.exe

- realtek audio:  TC40102000A.exe

- realtek lan:  TC40100400A.exe

- realtek wlan:  TC40089500A.exe

- atheros wlan driver:  TC00147200G.exe

- atheros wlan client:  TC00147400F.exe

Most of which are working pretty good, except 2 problems

1. reltek LAN device disapperred which was there at some point, at least I saw it after the audio driver installation, and I cannot get it back.  Only wireless lan device is available, even after repeated uninstall and reinstall of various combinations of the 4 lan drivers.

one step I didn't strictly follow was to restart the windows after every driver installation.

2. I could not switch back the SATA IDE support, following the suggestions by the others on this thread. I don't know what is the exact steps to "force" a driver update for the IDE.

the device manager shows the following for the IDE controllers

-> Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0

-> Primary IDE channel

-> Secondary IDE channel

Also, I tried to do the SATA before installing any of the drives listed above, but xp ran into a restart loop, and forced me to switch back to the compatible mode.

Could you inform me how much difference between the two modes in terms of performance?

Any idea?

Thanks.

---- Chang

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Chang, I don't know what to tell you about the missing Ethernet NIC in Device Manager. Maybe it's broken?

But you should not be installing both a Realtek and an Atheros driver for the wireless. It's one or the other. (Don't ask me why they both appear.) Perhaps that's what messed things up.

I'm talking about the drivers now. The clients don't matter. Many prefer Windows XP's Zero Wireless Configuration client for the wireless.

I understand that the SATA-controller driver performs better, but I don't know how much better. There's a storage manager for that model here. Maybe there are instructions in that package for installation. I don't have time to look now.

Intel Storage Manager for Windows XP, 8.9.0.1023, 03/02/10

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If the following doesn't work your best bet is to integrate the SATA driver into the Windows XP install disk then install from that as it will ALWAYS work while forcing the install afterward doesn't always.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=107504

--------------------8<------------------- <snip> ------------------

Switching back to AHCI (Runs a little faster than ATA mode)

- First step is to install the basic Motherboard Chipset Drivers and ONLY this driver. Do not install anything else prior to installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver as outlined below.

- Download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

- Once you download the file, run it with the -a switch:
    iata96enu.exe -a
This will NOT install the Matrix Storage Manager. What this will do is run the installer, and ONLY EXTRACT the files to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. Again, this does NOT install anything.

- Your drivers are now located in C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. They will be found in either \Driver, or \Driver64, depending on whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

- Go to Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double-click on the Intel ICH8M 3-port SATA Controller - 2828... remember, *ONLY* click on the device that ends with 2828.

- Go to Driver tab, and choose to Update Driver.

- Tell the Wizard prompts:
- No, not this time
- Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
- Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.
- Click the "Have Disk" button. Point it to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Driver (or Driver64).
- Choose the driver you want to install....
- After you install the driver and click OK out of every menu, reboot the laptop.

-) During reboot, go into BIOS and turn on AHCI mode
--------------------8<------------------- <snip> ------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Snypa

know this is kind of old, but I have ran into slight problems. The install of XP went well, but now I need to install usb 2.0 drivers and network drivers, both to help me locate and install drivers. At the moment, I am stuck without usb drivers(wont recognize usb) and no internet.

Let me know what you guys recommend. Thank You

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

The USB drivers are installed with Windows XP.  Try going into device manager, uninstalling any and all USB devices, then rebooting to see if Windows will automatically re-install them.  If that doesn't work, try clicking on the re-detect devices in device manager. Once you do that you should be able to install the netword drivers. 

If that doesn't work create a self booting USB stick that supports the NTFS file system, boot to it, then copy the USB and Network drivers from USB stick to the hard drive, then install them from that. The Network driver is listed as a LAN driver on the support site. If you have a USA product go to the product support link at the top of this page, enter in your model number, then click on the downloads tab.  Now download the drivers, utilities, and applications for that model.  You can use the left hand Drop Down Menu to filter for OS and the right hand DDM to filter for type of file.

You might need to click on the blue text link that states Show All Models to show yours.

If your laptop is from a different country you will need to go to that countries Support Site to download the necessary drivers.   The Global Portal can be found here to aid you in finding YOUR specific support area.
http://pc.support.global.toshiba.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.