Occasional Contributor
Netname

Microsoft Works Word Processor not included?

Hello, I just noticed today, that my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5944 doesn't have Microsoft Works Word Processor (9?) included.

Doesn't every laptop with windows come with this? Or did Toshiba just forget to? Where can i download/get this?

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

Re: Microsoft Works Word Processor not included?

Netname wrote:

Hello, I just noticed today, that my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5944 doesn't have Microsoft Works Word Processor (9?) included.

Doesn't every laptop with windows come with this?

Nope.

Or did Toshiba just forget to? Where can i download/get this?

You buy it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116383

Occasional Contributor
Netname

Pensacola_Tiger wrote:

Netname wrote:

Doesn't every laptop with windows come with this?

Nope.

Or did Toshiba just forget to? Where can i download/get this?

You buy it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116383

:smileysad: That disappointing. Is anyone else missing theirs?

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

Netname wrote:

That disappointing. Is anyone else missing theirs?

I thought I made it clear that it's not included with Windows.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Wordpad is included, but not Word, as it is part of the Microsoft Office package and you have to buy it.  Some computers come with a trial version, that lasts for 60 days though.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

It looks like everyone was misreading the OP in one fashion or another.  First, he's asking about WORKS, not Word.  If you read the specs for that system it doesn't list Works as one of the included applications so if that is why he can't find it. My L305-S5933 came with Works installed as well as the 60 day Office trial.

Also, he didn't say that it was included with Windows only that computers with Windows come with Works.  While this isn't true almost all Windows systems have some sort of word processor/office suite installed, normally either Word, WordPerfect, or Works.

(Editied to remove incorrect information)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

[ Edited ]

I must be missing that, for the L305-S5944 in the specs under software all I see is:

Software

•  Toshiba Software and Utilities
o  TOSHIBA Value Added Package
o  Electronic User’s Guide
o TOSHIBA ConfigFree®

o TOSHIBA Assist
o  TOSHIBA DVD Player
o TOSHIBA Disc Creator
o  TOSHIBA Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center
o  TOSHIBA Speech System
o  TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator
o  Hard disc (HDD) recovery
o TOSHIBA Resources
• Third-party Software
o WildTangent® Orb™ Games Console
o Google™ Toolbar
o Google™ Desktop
o Google™ Picasa™
o Sun® Java™ 2 Runtime Environment
o Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
o Computrace® LoJack® for Laptops(BIOS Enabled)
• Trial Software
o Microsoft® Office Ready with Microsoft Office Professional 2007 60-day trial edition 
o  Norton 360™ All-In-One Security
• Special Offers
o  Amazon.com-Online  Shopping
o Intuit® Quickbooks® Financial Center
o Skype™
o NetZero® Internet Service
o eMusic

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I know it was there when I looked it up.  The only thing I can think of is that I clicked on the 5942 (which does list it) instead of the 5944.  Anyway I will edit my previous post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

No Problem.  BTW, I think most computers do NOT come with office or works.

Any way, this might help.  Personally I highly recomend Open Office.  You can do almost everything that Office can do.  (Actually I think only high end users might notice missing features.  That is might).  Also Open Office can read and write Office format documents that Office can open.  Google it to get more info.  Oh, and did I mention it is free?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I have to second the opinion of OpenOffice which can be found here.  Anyone who needs a word processor with more features than what Open Office has would more than likely require WordPerfect anyway (Word can't do nearly as much as WP).  And anyone who would find Works to be satisfactory would be more than happy with OpenOffice.

Regular Contributor
cybot

My brand new Toshiba Satellite P500-ST6844 purchased and customized from www.toshibadirect.com, does not have MS work 9 like it's supposed to. I've already sent back the laptop twice for this issue. All Toshiba says, is to send the laptop back to them, but when I get it back, no MS Works. I've tried doing a factory restore under the guidance of Toshiba tech support. Toshiba says there's no guarantee that I'll get MS Works by purchasing recovery DVD's. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Works isn't worth the trouble you are going through to get it.  Unless you have documents created in it that you need access to you would be better off downloading and installing OpenOffice.  It's free, is a much better overall product than Works, and creates documents in standard formats that other office suites like MS Office, WordPerfect Office, and others can open, something that Works doesn't do.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Regular Contributor
cybot

[ Edited ]

well open office isn't an option for me as i'm on a dial-up connection. also the only other computer (desktop) (that has a printer) has MS Works. so having a program that can read my files without conversion or the like would be preferable.

(UPDATE)

I talked to toshiba direct and this time they said that because i customised my laptop, and because it came with office ready/office 2007 60-day trial, i was not entitled to MS Works 9. Is this true? if so, why did they have me RMA my laptop twice already for not having MS Works? Why does Toshiba support also say i'm supposed to have a copy of works?

Laptop: Customized Satellite P500-ST6844

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I don't know about the customizing bit, but I can say that the Office 2007 Trial would have nothing to do with it as there are a LOT of Toshiba systems that ship with both the Office 2007 Trial and MSWorks (mine included). This is one of the problems with forums like this though.  Since this is just a Users helping other users forum it isn't always possible to get answers to qustions like this as there are no Toshiba employees here to provide those types of answers.

As for the dialup connection, if you want to send me your mailing address via a Private Message I would be glad to send you a CD with the latest version of OpenOffice on it that you could use to install on any computer if you want. 

NetUser

[ Edited ]

Response from Pensacola_Tiger: "I thought I made it clear that it's not included with Windows."

I believe Netname is asking if Microsoft Works is preinstalled by Toshiba, not whether it is included with Windows. Although Toshiba may not include the program with each computer, I've purchased several Toshiba laptops and each came with Microsoft Works preinstalled. If a backup copy of files is not created, Microsoft Works cannot be downloaded from Toshiba.

I thought the purpose of these forums was to be helpful towards each other, not to be rude!  If you plan to reply to these postings, why not try using a little more tact instead of short, blunt answers.

To Netname: It appears that Microsoft Works is no longer available from New Egg. You can get a reasonably priced copy from eBay.

Pensacola_Tiger wrote:

Netname wrote:

That disappointing. Is anyone else missing theirs?

I thought I made it clear that it's not included with Windows.