Dannie

How to create a start up disk for Windows Vista

I just bought a new laptop L305-S5919.  I'm new to using Windows Vista.  I want to create a start up (boot disk).  Windows Visat was preinstalled on my laptop and I don't have any disks. How do I go about creating a boot disk? thanks! Dannie
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How to create a start up disk for Windows Vista

Satellite L305-S5919 

Dannie, there is no such thing as a boot disk for the Windows NT series of Windows (NT 3.x, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, and Vista).

But for Windows Vista you can make two kinds of discs that could be useful in an emergency.

1. A disc that contains an operating system.

This would permit you to access your hard drive when you could not boot to Windows. A popular bootable CD is Ubuntu. There's also KNOPPIX, Bart's, UBCD4Win, SystemRescueCd, and probably others.

2. A disc that enables you to run a repair on the startup files when Windows Vista won't boot.

The Windows Recovery Environment is a feature of any Windows Vista installation DVD. To reach that, get the Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download.

The Recovery Environment looks like this.

http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/daven/WindowsLiveWriter/WindowsRecoveryEnvironment_F190/WinRE%5B7%5D.jpghttp://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/daven/WindowsLiveWriter/WindowsRecoveryEnvironment_F190/WinRE%5B7%5D.jpghttp://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/daven/WindowsLiveWriter/WindowsRecoveryEnvironment_F190/WinRE%5B7%5D.jpg

You can run Bootrec from that command prompt.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair start...

-Jerry
Dannie

Hi Jerry!

Thank you for your quick reply.  I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 with Windows Vista and I stated I was looking to find out how to create a "start-up / boot disk".  You gave me two viable options.  However, while I was exploring on my computer I actually found a file that does it.  So I thought I'd pass this on to other Toshiba notebook owners...you may have this already on your computer.

To get to it go here:

1. Click on "Start"

2. Click on "C" drive (I have to double click it to open)...

3. Click on "Program Files"

4. Scroll down to "Toshiba" and click on it

5. Click on "TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator"

6. Click on "TRDCLcher" file

It will then open up the Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator...just follow the instructions now.

Hope this helps someone out.  Take care...Dannie

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for that, Dannie.

I was looking to find out how to create a "start-up / boot disk". 

I actually found a file that does it.

Click on "TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator"

Just so nobody is confused here, let's explain what a Recovery Disc is.

A Recovery Disc is not a startup/boot disc. That is, it does not boot to a viable operating system from which one can access the hard drive nor does it boot Windows on the hard drive nor does it even help to repair the existing Windows installation.

What it does do is recover (i.e., restore) the hard drive to its original out-of-the-box state. So it wipes out all of your data files, added applications, tweaks, and so forth and puts the hard drive back to the way it originally was. If that's what you want to do, you've found the way to do it.

For how to make those, see the section Creating Recovery DVDs on p. 60 of the Satellite L300 Series User's Guide.

-Jerry