Mark_C

How do I reinstall windows vista???

I live in Romania and just a few months ago purchased this Toshiba Satellite.  I somehow got a virus on my system and windows would not open...  I have been told that I need to reinstall the windows vista but the laptop never came with a reinstall disc...  What do I do?  Can someone please help???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Mark

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: How do I reinstall windows vista???

Current systems don't come with recovery disk, they have a Recovery Partition with the ability to create the Recovery Disks.  Without knowing which system you have I can't tell you specifically how to create them, but normally one goes to "Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Recovery - Recovery Disk Creator".  If your system is too screwed up from the viruses you'll need to contact the Toshiba Support Center for you area by Telephone and order a replacement set. 

You can also try to invoke the Recovery process directly from the hard drive by holding down the 0 (zero) key when you power on the system and selecing restore to out of box state.  Once again without know which laptop you have I can't be 100% certain that this is the way to run your recovery process. 

You can read more about the general recovery system in this adobe acrobat file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Mark_C

Thank you very much for your advice.  My system is the satellite A300-1mo...  Which A300 i am not sure.  A friend installed XP on to the system for me because it was not opening to windows etc...  and he is not a fan of the Vista platform...  However, I did not have problems with it and prefer it to the XP. do you think I would still be able to get the SYS recovery file??? Or would that file be gone if he did a complete install of the XP???

Once again...  Thank you very much for your advice.

Best regards,

Mark

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

You Questions about still doing a recovery is quite valid.. CEE64 might know for sure.

Anyway.  Here is a link that may be helpful as well.. It may not cover your issue completely but it may be worth your time to review same... 

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

If you like Vista, then Windows 7 will be be even more to your liking, so follow CEE64 and my blogs on the subject when and IF your ready for Windows 7.

Either way (Vista, Windows7 ) you will have to make a solid plan and execute correctly to get your system back the way you would want it, without any issues. 

Let us know if we can help and remember we are not connected to Toshiba, User-R-US , just like you.

Respectively

Hank Freeman
Senior Data/Systesm DBA-DW Architect
USA
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Mark_C wrote:

Thank you very much for your advice.  My system is the satellite A300-1mo...  Which A300 i am not sure.  A friend installed XP on to the system for me because it was not opening to windows etc...  and he is not a fan of the Vista platform...  However, I did not have problems with it and prefer it to the XP. do you think I would still be able to get the SYS recovery file??? Or would that file be gone if he did a complete install of the XP???

Once again...  Thank you very much for your advice.

Best regards,

Mark

That depends on how he went about installing XP, but the short answer is probably not.  You'll need to contact Toshiba to order a replacement set of recovery disks.  See this post for details or contact the Support Number for your area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.