lennyw

How do I reinstall XP MCE on a Qosmio G25 AV513?

On a G25 AV513 with XP MCE:

The computer didn't come with a reinstall cd/dvd, but I see XP is on the hard drive so it should be possible to press a few "magic keys" and have the computer set itelf up like it came from the factory. No?

Does anyone know how to do this?

I'm prefectly willing to lose the data that's there (its backed up on an external drive anyway) in order get the computer to function again. Right now it's so messed up its practically  inert!!

I'd hate to scrap this machine if there's a way to make it go again. It was very expensive and its only 6 years old. (I'm writing this query on a 13 year old Dell desktop that's still chugging away :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance for any help

Kind regards,

Lenny W.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How do I reinstall XP MCE on a Qosmio G25 AV513?

Qosmio G25-AV513

Downloads here.

There is no recovery image on that old computer, Lenny. One or more recovery discs did come with it.

You have a couple of options.

1. Restore to out-of-the-box.

You can probably order the discs from a third-party.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

Recovery-Disks.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

Recovery-CD.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

2. Install Windows XP.

I doubt you can find Media Center Edition anyplace. But you can still buy Windows XP Professional (which is essentially the same thing) at eBay and elsewhere.

After installing, you'll want to add the drivers and utilities that make the features work. Install the Intel chipset software followed by the nVidia display driver prior to any other drivers. Install the Common Modules before any other Toshiba utility.

Either way there are lots of Windows updates to install.

-Jerry
lennyw

Thank you very much for your reply. I is very helpful. Before ordering DVD's from one of the vendors you listed I took a long shot and wormed my way into the Toshiba site and was able to get them to send me recovery media. Its not cheap at $29.95 for "shipping and handling" for something that by rights should be more-or-less free. I also tried getting the "Toshiba Recovery" program to run as explained at the Toshiba site, but the computer is too far gone.... it hangs before the search for the program even completes.

I still have your  suggestion nr 2 in my hip pocket in case the recovery disks don't work out. I read somewhere on the internet that Microsoft "might" send Windows  XP media for free if you call them and explain the situation and give a license key. Your number 2 suggestion sounds like a lot more work, so, for now I'm holding it in abeyance.

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks again

Lenny W.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..wormed my way into the Toshiba site and was able to get them to send me recovery media.

I didn't suggest that option because I thought your XP machine was too old - that they no longer supply the recovery discs for that vintage computer. Good for you, Lenny!

To restore the computer using that DVD, see the section Creating a new RAID-0 array, which begins on p. 261 of the User's Guide.

Qosmio G25 Series User’s Guide  

I also tried getting the "Toshiba Recovery" program to run as explained at the Toshiba site, but the computer is too far gone.... it hangs before the search for the program even completes.

The information I gave you about that is accurate. There is no recovery partition on that model. It would certainly be mentioned in the User's Guide.

I read somewhere on the internet that Microsoft "might" send Windows  XP media for free if you call them and explain the situation and give a license key.

No way that will happen!

-Jerry