Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

Frozen on "Please Wait"....

Hi, this has been bugging me for hours and I'm all out of ideas, so hopefully someone here can help me :smileyhappy:

Right, so when I startup my laptop it loads fine until I get to the loading screen that says "Please Wait" (I'm running Windows Vista by the way).

I've tried doing the Startup Recovery thing, and it found no problems.

It was working fine yesterday, but as soon as I turned it on today it just won't get passed this screen.

It does load in safe mode.

I've also tried loading it using the last good configuration settings, again, didn't work.

Could it be a problem with the Registry entries??

The only thing I downloaded yesterday was a new software update for my iphone, could that have anything to do with it??

If you need any more information or have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Frozen on "Please Wait"....

It does load in safe mode.

Do a System Restore to before the problem.

What is System Restore?

If you reply, tell us the computer model.

-Jerry
sarahatess

I have been having the exact same issues today!  My computer was also working fine previously until trying to log-in today.  I cannot figure out what the underlying issue is...

Occasional Contributor
marathon

Hi Jerry

There seems to be a rash of start up problems recently.

I have a toshiba satellite L300 with Vista Home Premium -  Windows Live Care tune up had run & I ran Advanced System Care 3.6.1 for cookies, spyware etc. The next day, Vista froze on Please Wait for more than 15 - 20 min with no hard drive activity (no flashing lights).

In safe mode - F8 to access the advanced repair tools - I ran the startup repair tool 3 times. Nothing found (all tests came back quickly with error 0x0). I decided to run system restore. Wizard check boxes for drives only highlighted the c: drive where vista lives. I could not check the boxes for the toshiba drives or another (x, f, d). Ran it anyways with a restore point (most recent - my last windows update late June 2010).

Now I'm stuck at the vista "configuring updates state 1 of 3 - 0%" again with no whirring on the hard drive. I seem to be able to run ok in safe mode.

Please help!!  Do I have to nuke it back to complete restore? (an option I want to avoid if possible).

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

In Safe Mode, try these.

1. An earlier restore point.

What is System Restore?

2. The System File Checker.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows...

Which Satellite L300?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Jerry,

I tried a system restore last night and I'm still getting the same problem. Someone else on another forum gave me something to try:

Click start, in search type msconfig
Click services tab and check the "hide all microsoft services" box
Then click disable all.
Go onto startup tab and click disable all.
Restart laptop.

And it managed to startup fine after this. However I had disabled pretty much everything so it wasn't much use.

I don't really understand what that did or what it tells me, so if anyone can explain it to me I'd hugely appreciate it.

Oh, and my laptop is a Satellite A300-1MC.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A300-1MC

You don't have an earlier restore point?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

When I tried it there was only one restore point available, from about 4 days ago.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Did you run the System File Checker as I requested?

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows...

If that doesn't help, you'll need to use that System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) to pin down the offending service. Give us that when you find it.

How to use the System Configuration utility to troubleshoot configuration errors in Windows Vista

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

Ahhh, I didn't try the System File Checker actually, I'll give both of these suggestions a try and let you know if I get any success.

Occasional Contributor
marathon

Hi again Jerry - It's a Satellite L300 - OHH

1.  System Restore - I've rolled it back through the last 5 system restore points (back to mid May - things had worked just fine btwn May & yesterday - Jul 11). No luck - it still stalls at Please Wait

2.  System File checker - ran & came back "Windows Response Program did not find any integrity violations". I tried to complete the rest of the instructions, after running sfc /scannow - but "edit" was not an available command (?!)

3.  MSconfig.exe - should I move on to this solution & should I restore the system back to the most recent restore points before doing so?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

MSconfig.exe - should I move on to this solution & should I restore the system back to the most recent restore points before doing so?

Go to the restore point just before the problem arose and continue the clean-boot troubleshooting.

That should identify a culprit.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

[ Edited ]

Hi Jerry,

I tried the System File checker and found some files that couldn't be repaired. I followed the steps on the page you linked me to and came up with this in the command prompt:

2010-07-12 21:32:37, Info                        CSI     00000161 [SR] Cannot repair

There were 3 other lines similar to this, none of which makes any sense to me. Do you know how I can find out the actual name/location of the file that needs repaired?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't expect I can help much with that from way over here. There may be helpful information in here.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program ge...

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

Ok, thanks for the help anyway. I tried reading that page about log file entries but it didn't have anything about what I'm exeriencing. I'll try using that msconfig thing to try and pinpoint the renegade program/file that's screwing me over.

Anyway, thanks for all the help Jerry.

Occasional Contributor
marathon

Jerry - L300-0HH here

I wasn't able to go back to the most recent restore point from late June - an error came up about a registry conflict. I assume that my May restore point can be the starting base & I'll add updates from there once it works properly again.

Re: msconfig.exe instructions - like dbzsmith, the 1st step in the 1st pass gets me to my regular desktop but nothing works.

I can't even launch msconfig in my regular desktop without everything freezing  - I have to use safe mode (F8) - is this correct?

Thanks for your patience your suggestions - I'm about to pack it in & will let you know tomorrow if I can make it to the end of the instructions

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

L300-0HH (PSLB8C-0HH01X)

I have to use safe mode (F8) - is this correct?

Sure. Remember, you're trying to find out what prevents a normal boot.

How to use the System Configuration utility to troubleshoot configuration errors in Windows Vista

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

I'm getting you guys mixed up. Bad business to have two in the same thread.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dbzsmith

Ok, so I finally figured out what's causing the problem, I used the msconfig thing to find the culprit service.

The service is called "SmartFaceVWatchSrv", the manufacturer is apparently "Toshiba". Does anyone know if it's a genuine Toshiba service or not?

While I may have fixed this problem, I am now faced with a barrage of new ones. When my laptop loads and I go on start, nothing I select will load. Nothing on the desktop will load. Everything that will load is unbearably slow. I think it may be time to conceed defeat and invest in a new laptop. :smileysad:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The service is called "SmartFaceVWatchSrv", the manufacturer is apparently "Toshiba".

That's face-recognition software. Can't hurt to reinstall it. Be sure to put the check back in Msconfig before you do.

Toshiba Face Recognition for Windows Vista

Follow the instructions there to remove the existing application.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
marathon

Hi Jerry - L300-0HH here again

After abt 8 hrs booting/rebooting & clicking - I've narrowed it down to 2 services that act together to cause the problem. Separately, they don't stop the desktop from loading up - Is this possible?

SmartFaceVWatchSrv - Toshiba

PrintSpooler - Microsoft

What does the SmartFaceV one do & is there a fix for it? 

Meanwhile, I'll work through the system config utility to see what I can do to repair this....thanks again for your advice