Jsmith
Accepted Solution

DVD drive does not show up

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Laptop model: L355D-S7825

DVD: "DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive" (got this from system specs)

Possible model: TS-L632 (I spoke with toshiba support on the phone. The techinician can't troubleshoot for me because my warrenty is up, but he THINKS this is my model type or whatever)

Problem: The DVD drive does not show up in my computer AND the device manager. When I put a CD in, I can see the light flashing on the hardware itself, and it appears to make some noises, but nothing happens on the computer (so it is being supplied power, but something is wrong with the communication)

I have attempted:

-Searching for the hardware using device manager, no luck

-Using Microsoft's automatic support tool "Mats_Run.dvd.exe". It says it can't find the device either.

-Adjusting the upper and lower filters via toshiba's command line(As suggested here: "http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-Vista-Windows-XP/TSSTCorp-TS-L632D-CD-DVD-Drive-not-worki..."

-Manually deleting the upper and lower filter registry string keys, as suggested by microsoft.

-The firmware update. When I attempt to run it, it says "Driver Not Found!!!" then "This Firmware is not compatible with the selected drive. Contact your system manufacturer for information on firmware updates available for this drive." Which is very strange because I got this download from my laptop's model driver download page....

-Searching for the original driver to download and install it...no luck there.

Windows will NOT automatically locate and install the driver.

dxdiag shows no dvd driver

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: DVD drive does not show up

First go into the bios to see if it is detected there.  If it isn't then turn the laptop off, remove the battery, unplug the A/C charger, then press and hold the power on button for a minimum of 30 seconds to completely drain the system.  Now plug it back in, power it up, and go into the bios to see if it is now detected.  If it isn't then either you have a defective drive that will need to be replaced, the connection to the motherboard is bad, or the motherboard itself is bad. 

If it is detected in the bios but not in Windows you'll want to see if it can boot to a self booting CD/DVD like a Linux Live CD, a diagnostic disk like Memtest, or your first Recovery Disk.  If it can't do that then it is a hardware issue that will need to be repaird (one of the items listed above).  If it can boot to one of these disks then your best option would be to backup all of your data and settings and use the Recovery Disks to restore the system to it's factory out of box state. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Jsmith

I tried booting from a disc and it worked.

I managed to fix the problem, but I used a windows vista 32-bit installation disc that came with my dell desktop computer. It fixed my installation of windows via startup repair

It wasn't actually my computer, was my fathers. Probably got a virus which disabled window's ability to detect the CD/DVD drive.

Not sure if it helped but I also had the laptop connected through LAN, because the first time I launched startup repair (WITHOUT the disc) it didn't fix anything.

So in summary, a windows vista reinstallation disc w/ lan connection to the internet allowed me to repair the computer with startup repair.

Jsmith

Thank you for the advice cee_64 btw. =)

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Glad you got it fixed.  That's the main thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

JKOZY

I got my Toshiba L305 Sat Laptop dvd drive back by shutting down,removing battery,discharging capacitor, booting into f8,choosing Directory Services Mode,lettin it purr for 5 minutes,then checking drive status,if nada then log off,restart,THEN shutdown.should be there on startup.if its a virus then get microsofts MSE,then hijackthis,autoruns...and let them do tha hard stuff.hope this is better than finding out ur upgrade disk 'Non SP1' doesnt work after re-arranging boot up priority cuz Microsofts Service Pack1 Disallows it according to my latest searches on tha matter.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

SP1 dissallows what exactly?  And SP1 of WHAT Operating System?

jackdlynch

I tried cdgone, also a Microsoft Windows registry rewrite program Fixit.dvd, but when I reinstalled the CD writing software and rebooted, the drive showed up in Explorer and listed the cd's contents.