Benswt
Accepted Solution

Computer Locks Up

L305-S5941...A month ago my computer would not boot up in anything but safe mode. A Microsoft technician worked with me approximately ten hours, and it ended with restoring my computer to factory settings. I updated everything (service pack 1 & 2). Within a few days my computer locked up and generated a report that said Intel graphics driver has stopped working properly. You know the story where Intel said to update the driver with Toshiba. I do have the latest driver from Toshiba, but my computer still locks up intermittently. I will have IE open and all of a sudden the screen gets a slightly white film over it and it's all over. I have a separate stand alone financial tool that locks up too. It is happening more and more frequent now. When I close the top for a short while it locks up. I hope you can help me. Thank you so much. Ben

Benswt

Re: Computer Locks Up

I have noticed that most of the computer problems I have experienced during the many years of using computers begin after someone updates their program. Since I wrote the above request for help last night I started my computer this morning and Microsoft Vista wanted to install another update. I allowed this update and now my computer will not boot up at all. The windows startup (which has not been my problem lately) repair takes over and says it cannot automatically repair this computer. I cannot boot in safe mode or any other mode because windows startup repair begins each time I try and I cannot get past it. Hopefully someone can help me. Ben

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L305-S5941 

Ben, turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

Can you reach the Advanced Boot Options menu?

If so, choose Repair Your Computer.

Can you reach the System Recovery Options menu?

-Jerry
Benswt

Thanks for replying, Jerry. I can access the Repair Your Computer, but it says it cannot find anything wrong.  I can also access the System Recovery. I hate doing that again, not only because of all of the updating required, but I will lose Microsoft Office Ultimate on this computer. A month ago when I completed the recovery I used my last product key authentication for this program. I spend hundreds of dollars on it, but I can only use it three times. Two of them on this computer alone.

I am assuming you recommend I try the recover from factory settings again.

Ben

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can also access the System Recovery.

Not clear to me whether you can access the following screen, Ben. If so, try a System Restore to before the latest trouble.

-Jerry
Benswt

Jerry, sorry I was unclear. I understand trying to help someone with these problems we need to be very specific.

No, I was not able to access the screen you displayed. When the computer tried to start after I tried the Startup Repair (it could not find a problem) a scrolling bar went across the bottom of the screen and above it it said "windows is loading files". When it completed it said "windows cannot repair startup problem automatically". In that screen it wanted me to send or don't send the results. Then I would get a screen that gave me only two options "Startup Repair" or "System Restore or Recovery". I have never seen these screens before. The "restore or recovery" was for a complete restore from factory settings, only choice. Sigh. After 106 updates to windows it seems to be working fine. It did last month too, for a few days.  These programs we purchase and lose when these computers crash should still be ours especially if they are loading to the same IP address. Oh well. Thank you very much, Jerry.

Ben

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you can borrow a Vista installation DVD, you can reach the screen I showed you (the Windows Recovery Environment). If you can't borrow one, you can download a disc that works.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download

Lots of hoops to jump through. After you get to that screen, I'm guessing there's about a 50% chance that you can recover your existing Windows.

But all this repeated trouble sounds like you have some kind of hardware difficulty.

-Jerry