hmw2008

Can't start windows xp even in safe mode

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop with windows XP pro. I am having trouble starting windows. When I start my laptop, it will show a Toshiba logo, then to a black and white screen with the options of starting windows in safe mode, safe mode with network, normally or start with the last configuration that worked. I have tried them all, and it just won't start.

When I chose the safe mode, it will show a drivers names on the screen

eg. last one being
"multi (0) disk (0)rdisk (0) partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mups.sys

Then the screen just froze.

What should I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Can't start windows xp even in safe mode

To learn more, use F8 to reach the Advanced Options menu. You should find an additional option there: Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Select that one and report the Stop error and any file name mentioned.   

-Jerry
hmw2008

Thanks Jerry.

I tried the option you suggested.  It brought up another screen and the only choice was windows xp professional.  I chose that, then it just shows a blank screen.

thanks for your help

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (or 3) installed, F8 should bring you to a screen that looks like this.

-Jerry
hmw2008

Hi Jerry,  That's exactly what I did.  I highlighted "disable automatic restart on system failure", hit "enter" and was brought to the next screen which asks which OS to start.  I only have WIn XP Professional, so I hit "enter" to select that, and I get a black screen as a response.  Nothing happens after that.  I'm grateful for any help!  Thanks!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm afraid there's not much we can do with that installation of Windows.

Do you have important files to retrieve?

-Jerry
hmw2008

What do you think it was wrong with it?  Is it the windows or is it the motherboard?  I do have some files to retrieve.  Once I do that, can I just resinstall windows?

Thanks for your help!

Regular Advisor
Squall_Rinoa89

hmw2008 wrote:

What do you think it was wrong with it?  Is it the windows or is it the motherboard?  I do have some files to retrieve.  Once I do that, can I just resinstall windows?

Thanks for your help!

Sounds to me like a HD Failure. Could be dead or nearly dead if it wont boot in safe mode or reg mode period.

ex Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 Owner
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV10 Owner
PSN: Squall_Rinoa89
I DON'T SUGAR COAT STUPIDITY
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let's get the important files off first.

Download and burn an Ubuntu live CD. You should be able to boot that and access your peripherals as well as the hard drive. There's a description here.

-Jerry
ChecMark

Have searched all over the forum and can't find anything on this. My friend screwed up his computer trying to connect an external monitor. Now the Wndows startup screen comes up, but then goes blank. I have tried all of the various routines, like F8 on start-up and Fn/F5 on display options, but it appears to me that the keyboard isn't functioning. Pressing F8 does not bring up any start-up options, although of course I may not be seeing them with no screen, and pressing F2 does not bring me into setup either. About the only thing that works is the power button. At a loss as to what to do.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

ChecMark

It's a friend's machine. Satellite P100. Pressing any of the function keys on start-up does nothing to stop Windows XP loading. I am suspecting more serious problem because even control/alt/delete does nothing after I think it has booted up. No lights flashing. Nothing.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If pressing F8 does not bring up the Advanced Options menu, then it's time for service by a tech.
-Jerry
ChecMark

Just posted this update under another topic -

UPDATE - sorry, I guess I wasn't pressing the F8 aggressively enough. I finally got the menu up, which I assume means the video card is fine. I have then selected every single start-up option, with no success. The only one that shows anything is a long list of windows/system 32 files which stops at mup.dll. I cannot reboot or do anything except power off.

I also went into the system setup (F2) and tried everything logical there as well, including restoring the defaults, plus I tried changing the video from "Auto" to "Both", but, again, nothing.

In any start-up mode, pressing Fn/F5 which should toggle through the display modes, also does nothing.

If it matters, after selecting any of the start-up modes, like "safe mode", I see the windows start-up logos, but then the screen just goes black. I was going to try booting with my Windows XP disk in the CD drive, but my friend has removed the drive to hook-up an external drive.

Appreciate any help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I think you've done all that could be expected.

But there's even more that's possible. Do you have a Windows XP installation CD lying around someplace? Or do you have a floppy drive on that machine?

-Jerry
ChecMark

Well, here's a screwy one for you to chew on. His original system disks are back in a container in Toronto, somewhere, so that's not an option. In desperation I changed the bios boot to the CD drive and used my Dell Windows XP Pro disk. It got to the options to select "install" or "repair". I selected repair but then it asked me for the admin password, which we have no clue on. I was VERY hesitant to do an install because he can't remember where his data is and I did not want to wipe it out with a new install. Any hope for us?
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you have a Windows XP installation CD there, you might try a repair/install.

Reinstall Windows over itself.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install 

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

-Jerry
ChecMark

Yes, we tried the "repair" but don't know the original install login or password. Our only option is to do a clean install, which, of course, scares the crap out of me as far as losing all his valuable data. Not only that but I am using my Dell OEM disks and not his Toshiba disks, so that worries me to. I'm thinking we need to at least talk to someone about backing up his data before we do anything. No one services Toshiba here in Panama, so that makes it all the more difficult.  
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

How about putting the drive in an external enclosure, and accessing it from another computer.

You might back up all the files with data extensions like .doc, mp3, and so forth.

-Jerry
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Toshiba Authorized Service Providers in Panama:

Altronic Solutions Inc
Customer Survey Rating

Via Arg. Edif.Car-Enda Local 1Corregimiento Bella Vista Z.7
Panama

Notebook Repairs  International Warranty Repairs      P: 507-265-4500
F: 265-451-1
Multitek Pacifico/Dist. Unidos
Customer Survey Rating

C/O: Xcc Logistics11200 NW 25 St 0 Ste 101
Miami, 33172

Notebook Repairs  International Warranty Repairs      P: 305-471-0809
F: 305-471-0877
Dist Unidos Internacionales SA
Customer Survey Rating
Parque Industrial Milla 8, AveTransitsmicala-Dhlacc960197754
Panama
Notebook Repairs  International Warranty Repairs      P: 507-279-8410
F: 236-006-5

Not so sure about that middle one.  It's possibly in Florida. (??)