seps

Battery problem toshiba satellite A70

I replaced the battery recently and it was working well. Now when the power cord is removed, the laptop turns off as if the battery is not there. The battery is detected, as is the charge, which is the in the high 90s. When I plug the cord in, the battery light turns on for about 5 seconds, then turns off on its own. During that 5 seconds, the computer will turn on if the cord is out...so the battery works, for just those 5 seconds. Im wondering if this is computer problem or battery problem...don't want to buy a new batter to see.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - 

Peter

Re: Battery problem toshiba satellite A70

Try the fixes listed in this article:

Battery not charging, not being recognized, or losing charge

- Peter
seabound

Hi all

I seem to be having the same problem as many others: the battery for my Toshiba satellite a205 is plugged in, but it will not charge. (My old battery will charge, but, because it is old, it doesn't stay charged for long.) I recently purchased two new batteries, but neither one will charge completely (they are each the correct replacement battery). I have held the power button down for 30 seconds - that worked temporarily, then stopped charging. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery; my system tells me it is up to date, yet neither of my new batteries will charge. I have been struggling with this issue for several weeks now and am at my wit's end. Any other suggestions will be most appreciated. This is crazy!

Peter

It may be due to hardware failure in the laptop itself. You could try performing a full system recovery, returning the laptop to its factory default conditions.

- Peter
seabound

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. I will try that. My only concern is that my old battery still works and charges "fully" (I use that word cautiously even though the meter says 100% charged the batter is old), and I am wondering if doing a full system restore might somehow prevent my old battery from charging. This battery problem appears to be rampant, and Toshiba should be doing something about this. I would think twice about bying another Toshiba, and would caution others before buying a Toshiba laptop. Anyways, thanks again.

Peter

I don't know for sure. My guess is that the old battery isn't actually fully charging. However, if the the new batteries aren't working, I'd be inclined to think it's a problem with the laptop itself.

- Peter
Brtstr

I purchased this laptop on 9/6/13 and started having the battery issue about a month ago. It's ridiculous that I had it about 2 months and it's already doing this! Had I known how horrible these laptops are I definitely would not have purchased this piece of crap. I had so many recommendations for a Toshiba that I thought I was finally getting away from lemon laptops, but instead walked right into another one.

Peter

What laptop do you have exactly, Brtstr? Check the label on the bottom. Can you be specific about what battery issue your laptop is having? Also, did you try the suggestions in the link I posted?

- Peter