mcbarriere

windows 8.1 update disabled my touchscreen

I updated my laptop to windows 8.1 and restarted my computer. When i got to the lockscreen i couldn't make any actions by touching the screen so i entered my password and touching the screen was no longer available. Please i need assistance!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: windows 8.1 update disabled my touchscreen

You can use a mouse, right? See what the troubleshooter says..

Windows key +F > Settings (at the top) >  type Troubleshooting > Hardware and Devices > Next....

Always tell us which computer you have when you post here. There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
markmax94

I have the same problem. I ran the troubleshooting program and it did not solve anything.

I have a Satellite P55t-A5202. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P55t-A5202

Downloads here

Did you carefully follow the instructions here?

How to Update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

-Jerry
markmax94

I didn't know that there were special instuctions to updating to win 8.1...

The only thing I didn't do, though is to remove the components from the list.

What now?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I would restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media and upgrade properly.

-Jerry
markmax94

Is that the only way? I'll lose a lot of information by going back to the out of box state...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The moral here is always to create a backup of your current disk before you make a big change. (We do it routinely every single day for every production machine.) Toshiba seems to have left that advice out of its instructions.

Your problem will probably turn up during the next few days and weeks and get solved. But at this point, I don't know which driver to suggest.

You have run Toshiba's Service Station, right?

-Jerry
markmax94

Yes, I ran it.

Never mind, I'll just wait for a couple of days, and if there is no solution I'll just restore...

Thank you for the assistance. 

vicos

The 8.1 upgrade broke my touchscreen on the P55t-A5202 as well. Based on all of the input, it is pretty obvious to me that this is a Toshiba issue that they did not properly ferret out.

As far as Jerry, it's also pretty obvious that he has no idea what the problem is and is sending everyone on a wild goose chase.

Does anyone else have a problem getting Bluetooth to work on this model?

I think that this is the first and last Toshiba I will purchase.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Can't hurt to check Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) for error flags.   

-Jerry
rlmill8

[ Edited ]

After upgrade to 8.1 my touch screen is registering multiple touches all over the screen when I touch it with a single finger. Nothing in Device Manager, and I tried recalibrating the touch screen multiple times. Also, in Internet Explorer screen after a google search text is formatted into about a 6 inch width, with blank screen to the right of it. Firefox works okay so far.

I did all the suggested Toshiba updates before the upgrade. I did do a suggested AMD update before the upgrade also, though after the upgrade I got a message from Toshiba Service Station that an AMD update needed to be redone. Did that, after the upgrade.

I have a C55Dt-A5307

Guess I'll had to go back to the original OS and try the upgrade again, but would appreciate any info on problems with the upgrade, and possible reasons to wait to see if Microsoft needs to fix anything in the upgrade. I see the RT upgrade to 8.1 has been recalled.

Thanks.

Udate about 30 minutes later: suddenly, mysteriously everything's working okay again, without a restart or anything I know of on my part. While it was acting up I tried several restarts with no improvement, now all on its own it's fixed itself apparently. Hoping it stays that way. Didn't notice the fan running more than usual while it was acting up but I didn't get around to checking resources (new computer, no shortcut to that yet). No idea what happened. IE's okay too.

New update, about 30 minutes later. I checked Event Viewer and found some items that might be connected. All the items below are from the time I was having the problem. The message "multi-touch device reported inconsistent contact information" appears now and then throughout my usage, including days before I had the problem or did the upgrade, but the only time I've noticed any issues was for a 30-minute period starting about 75 minutes ago, so I'm guessing that's not unusual. Please correct me if that's not true. The driver loading problems seem more serious, though as I said the problem corrected itself without a restart.

6:56:57 PM The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\SensorsAndLocationEnum\LPSensorSWDevice.

6:56:36 PM The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
 and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

6:53:21 PM A multi-touch device reported inconsistent contact information.

6:37:05 PM The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{0ad669eb-381b-11e3-be83-008cfa70a7cf}#0000000006500000.

6:36:37 PM The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.

Update 11/14/13 Problem has not recurred. Appears to have been a temporary glitch.

poffers1200

I own 3 month old P55t-A5202 which I upgraded to Win 8.1 when Microsoft released update via Wondows Stores.

Since then,  -

1. Touch Screen doesn't work after login.  Called Toshiba Support, they offered two options - wait for Fix (they know this is an issue), 2. Re install OS using Recovery Disc to go back to Windows 8.0  --  I have decided to WAIT :smileysad:

2. Using Toshiba Service Station App, I upgraded all Win 8.1 updates, After Display driver got updated, I noticed, the text is no 'clear' in many apps includig Chrome broweser/ Windows Device Driver app.  Another Frustration!

3. Also noticed - backlight on my keyboard is not reliably controlled using the keyboard combination keys since Win 8.1 update.

I don't know who did not do good job - Toshiba or Microsoft. Very frustrating.

Learnt lesson - Do not update to new software unless really needed. Software Quality is increasingly getting worst - every where.

Peter

markmax94, did you do all the updates in Service Station before or after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

vicos, what you call "sending everyone on a wild goose chase" I call "troubleshooting. Thanks for trying to find a solution, Jerry. Is your Bluetooth card Realtek? If so, did you uninstall it before upgrading as explained in the upgrade instructions?

rlmill8, I don't have information on your issue at this time. I'm sorry.

poffers1200, did you follow these instructions when you updated?

How to Update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Document ID: 4003163 Posted Date: 2013-09-08

Specifically, did you perform all the Service Station and Windows Updates before upgrading?

- Peter
djacks88

I have the same issue I even tried reintalling 8.1 but my touch screen is still disabled i've done everything and nothing works so i hope this issue is solved quickly only time my touch screen works if I restore my laptop back to windows 8 

poffers1200

I did perform all the Toshiba Service Station updates, but I already had Win 8.1 installed.

Do we have to perform Toshiba updates before updating Windows 8.1 update (from Microsoft) ?

If so, Microsoft and Toshiba should have worked together (and I am sure more manufacturers like Toshiba) to get this done properly.

Now we all know, Win 8.1 can not be rolled back. Am I stuck with this issue forever (unless I reinstall OS from scratch) ? 

There has to be a way to fix this mess.

Peter

[ Edited ]

Actually, Windows 8.1 can be rolled back with a System Restore when I tested that functionality.

Edit: Windows 8.1 can be rolled back using System Refresh or System Reset, but this will also remove your own applications and documents (in the case of System Reset).

The official Toshiba instructions say that you need to run all updates from Service Station before doing the update.

I suspect that problems can be fixed afterwards anyways, but I didn't write the official steps. The most important thing for people with issues after upgrading to Windows 8.1 seem to be to manually uninstall everything on that uninstall list that was in the instructional document, and then to run Service Station and get all the updates.

However, for the touchscreen issue on the P55t-A5202, I don't believe the problem has anything to do with that at this point. For anyone with the touchscreen not working on this specific model, we are working on a fix. I don't have an ETA yet, but if you could live without the touchscreen for a little while longer, a fix is on the way.

- Peter
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Windows 8.1 can be rolled back with a System Restore when I tested that functionality..

Are you sure, Peter? So far as I know, the upgrade removes all the restore points.

-Jerry
Peter

No. Whoops.

Thanks for the catch Jerry. I'm getting my own facts mixed up.

System Reset will return the computer to factory settings, returning the computer to Windows 8.0 in the process. System Refresh also returned the computer to Windows 8.0, but it removes your Desktop apps, and you may lose other data as well.

- Peter
Peter

Vicos, if you install all available Toshiba Service Station updates, you should regain Bluetooth functionality.

- Peter