engravergal
Accepted Solution

stuck in diagnosing loop

Model: Satellite C855D-S5320

Please help. I can't get my laptop out of this loop. It starts with preparing automatic repair then goes to diagnosing your PC. It won't go past that point.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: stuck in diagnosing loop

Satellite C855D-S5320

In case Windows does not boot, you should be able to enter the recovery environment, which in Windows 8.x looks like the picture below.

From Troubleshoot you can go to System Restore, Safe Mode, Startup repair ("Automatic Repair"), a command prompt,  the BIOS/UEFI, or even restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents from the recovery partition..

According to Microsoft, trying and failing to boot several times will eventually take you to the recovery environment instead. According to Toshiba, you can also get there by pressing F2 or the zero key on powering up.

If you have completely shut down, Toshiba says you can get there using F12 to reach the UEFI boot menu and then selecting HDD Recovery. One might expect that to take you to Toshiba's recovery back to factory-new, but it actually leads to the recovery environment above.

Please try these out many, many times and let us know what happens.

Do you have important files to rescue?

Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1?

-Jerry
engravergal

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately nothing worked. my husband spent over an hour on the phone with a tech at Toshiba going through all the steps that I had been doing all afternoon only to find out that there's a partition missing. The thing needs to be sent in and they will fix it for us. Of course we won't have any of our files. At least it will be more than a paperweight when we get it back.
engravergal

Oh, it had been updated to 8.1 :-(
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Of course we won't have any of our files.

If they are important enough, you should explore removing the hard drive, attaching it via USB to another computer, and copying them.

You local computer shop can probably do that for you.

-Jerry
engravergal

Hi Jerry, I'd be willing to do it myself. Do you have any tips to help get me started?
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Get yourself a USB enclosrure for the drive. You'll access it just as any external drive.

You can learn how to remove and replace it from this video.

Toshiba Satellite C850 / C855 Series: HDD Replacement

-Jerry
engravergal

Thanks very much. The video is very detailed, and I won't have any problem saving my files :smileyhappy:
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You may run into permission problems accessing the folders, because the instance of Windows is different. If so, come back here for more.

-Jerry