shaker01

how to find preentered product key of windows8 from my toshiba laptop -satellite c855-s5308 ??

Hi ,myself abdul rahman :smileyhappy:
just now i've bought toshiba laptop-satellite c855-s5308 
i want to add some additional features to my windows8...

but when i click to install them ..it's asking to enter the product key of windows.,
which is preinstalled. and i can't find it anywhere else ..:smileysad:
i request you to kindly please help me out .as soon as possible!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: how to find preentered product key of windows8 from my toshiba laptop -satellite c855-s5308 ??

[ Edited ]

Satellite C855-S5308

There is no product key for OEM Windows 8. Your license is locked into the motherboard. If you should reinstall it, activation will be automatic.

The screen is asking for the product key for the Pro Pack. Read the instructions below for how to purchase it.

Point to the upper-right corner of the screen and click Search. Enter add features in the search box and then click Settings. Click Add features to Windows 8 and then click I want to buy a product key online. You will be prompted through the steps to buy a product key from there.
-Jerry
PatPatterson

Re: how to find preentered product key of windows8 from my toshiba laptop -satellite c855-s5308 ??

Is this true also if one has completely wiped the hard drive as I have?

Long story on why I wiped the hard drive...  Since I got my Satellite S855D-S5148 in early May, I have had nothing but trouble with Windows 8.  It has become unusable several times, and the last time happened while I was doing the updates that are supposed to be necessary to get ready for Windows 8.1.  I hoped the Windows 8.1 update would cure my computers ills, but I never got to even try it.

In frustration, I ended up totally wiping my hard drive, then trying Linux.  Didn't like it...  So, I've been tossing around the idea of getting Windows 7 which I have on the desktop I'm typing to you from...  Super-dependable operating system, it is...

But I decided that I should at least try the idea of downloading a whole new .iso file from Digital River, activating it, etc.

But I come to the stopping point of...  "Where is my Windows 8 Product Key?"

Is the key still there on the motherboard if I have wiped my hard drive, including the Toshiba recovery partition?  Or do I have to buy one?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite S855D-S5148 (PSKG2U-07F004)

Downloads here

Pat it appears you are under the impression that a Windows 8 product key would activate Windows 7. That's certainly not the case. And only Windows 8 Pro comes with downgrade rights (to Windows 7 Professional). So you would need to pay for it.

The other problem you have is whether the drivers and utilities for Windows 7 exist for that model. There you appear to be in luck. Downloads for 64-bit Windows 7 are available at the European site here for the equivalent part-number family PSKG2E.

-Jerry
PatPatterson

Okay, I guess windows 7 is too much trouble to get back into, unfortunately...

So, maybe it's possible there were some problems with my particular laptop's Windows 8, causing issues...  So then, my best option is to do what to get Win8 working again?

As I said, I wiped the entire hard drive, so recovery disks don't work.  

If I were to DL an entire new .iso file from Microsoft's Digital River site and burn that to a DVD, would that install and be able to activate without buying a new license key?

In NO way do I think that I should have to pay for a new license key when I should already have one.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It's best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. All the drivers and utilities are properly preinstalled. No Windows activation is necessary.

If you failed to create recovery media, you can obtain it from Toshiba. Scroll down to Get Recovery Media here.

For instructions, see the section Restoring from recovery media, which begins on p. 57 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro C800/L800/S800 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
PatPatterson

You must not have read my post very closely...

I have a recovery disk, but due to the fact my HD is wiped clean, the partition that uses my recovery disk is gone, so the recovery disk doesn't work.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

due to the fact my HD is wiped clean, the partition that uses my recovery disk is gone, so the recovery disk doesn't work.

Recovery discs (or thumbdrives) assume nothing about the contents of the hard drive they are restoring.

A brand new drive off the shelf can be restored to the original out-of-the-box contents of the original disk. That includes the recovery partition itself.

-Jerry
PatPatterson

Okay, my bad...  NOW I see what I did wrong in trying to do recovery...  Hold the zero key and push the power button...

Seems I should have known that, this being at least my third time recovering this laptop...

Of course, it being the third time makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my copy of Windows 8...  

Three things:  

1. Maybe things will be better once I upgrade to 8.1 (sure hope so).

2. Since I saw this AFTER ordering recovery discs, I'll have a different copy to try from if I have yet another crash...

3. If I can't keep this puter alive after all this, I'll be going to Ubuntu.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Hold the zero key and push the power button....

I gave you the instructions already. See the section Restoring from recovery media, which begins on p. 57 of the User's Guide. 

Satellite/Satellite Pro C800/L800/S800 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
PatPatterson

Yup, I just missed the "press the zero key" part.  I'm kinda amazed I didn't remember it from the previous times...

In any case, I'm up and running, all caught up with updates and ready to DL Windows 8.1 when it rolls out tomorrow.  

Other than those updates, I'm leaving it completely as-is until I get the 8.1 update, not even downloading Chrome, which is normally the first thing I do with any new computer after inital setup and updates, etc.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

As I said, I wiped the entire hard drive

I just missed the "press the zero key" part.

Guess I don't understand what happened. When the drive is wiped, press zero doesn't restore.

In any case, I'm happy to learn all is well.

-Jerry