garretgorniak
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 Wireless Connection Problem with Satellite S855

I have a Toshiba Laptop S855-S5254.  I did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro.  I ran Toshiba Upgrade Assistant and it successfully installed all 25 programs and I previously updated the BIOS.  I was able to connect wirelessly in Windows 7 with no problem, but don't seem to be able to connect with Windows 8.

Using Device Manager, I looked at Network Adapters and have only two entries:

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

Qualcomm Atheros Ar8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

Under Other Devices it lists Network Controller with a yellow exclamation point and clicking it says The Drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).  I tried the Update Driver both by Browse my computer and Search automatically for updated software (via an Ethernet connection) and both said they couldn't find one.

Am I missing some driver and if so, how do I get it?

In addition, when I go to the Control Panel, click devices, a picture labelled Toshiba Laptop with a yellow exclamation point appears, and clicking the image presents me with a screen with System Settings, Browse Disks and Drives, and Hardware Settings.  I really don't know what to do at that screen to correct the problem.

Just Wondering
boeckelmannt

Re: Windows 8 Wireless Connection Problem with Satellite S855

It seems to me you are missing the wireless driver. Try this..

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=338554...

There should be a download for the Realtek driver you need. It was released on 9-18-2012. Let me know if this helps.

boeckelmannt

I should clarify - when you click on that link, click on the Downloads tab and there will be a list of driver updates. By using the dropdown menus, you can refine your search for the Operating System you are running, and the driver you are looking for (in this case, Wi-Fi).

garretgorniak

Thank you, it worked!  I wonder why Toshiba Upgrade Assistant for Windows 8 doesn't download a driver for a wireless network.

To clarify:

Click on the website you suggested above.

Click Downloads.

Refine the search by going to the operating system Windows 8 (64 bit).

Go all the way down categories to Wi-Fi.

Download Realtek Wireless LAN Driver v2.00.0020 driver and follow instructions for installation.

Just Wondering
boeckelmannt

Glad this worked out for you! Happy to help.