TinaJNC
Accepted Solution

Windows 8.1 and num lock key

Hi everyone,

I am new here but was completely curious if any of you helpful people could fix or help me fix my minor problem Yes, I know it is so very minor but, it is such an annoyance. You can laugh, l'll even laugh with you even! lol

When I reboot or shutdown Windows 8.1  my num lock key is ALWAYS off when it boots back up. I want it to stay on CONSTANTLY. (It's on when I reeboot or Shutdown off when I reboot

back up).

A I said before, I am running Windows 8.1, and a new S series Toshia.

Ho

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Windows 8.1 and num lock key

Tina, nothing is trivial if it bothers YOU.  Try this that has worked for many others. At the Start Screen, type Control Panel and hit Enter. Click on "Choose what the Power buttons do" (upper left of page). Scroll down to "Shutdown Settings" and clear the box that says "Turn on fast startup". Click "Save Changes". Restart your computer.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
TinaJNC

‎12-30-2013 11:38 A

Tina, nothing is trivial if it bothers YOU.  Try this that has worked for many others. At the Start Screen, type Control Panel and hit Enter. Click on "Choose what the Power buttons do" (upper left of page). Scroll down to "Shutdown Settings" and clear the box that says "Turn on fast startup". Click "Save Changes". Restart your computer.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit

Hey C.B,

Thanks for the help but I could not get it to work for me. I followed  your advice to a tee. made sure I saved my settings and  I reboot my computer afterwards, and it still persists. I appreciate your time and effort however!

Thanks a bunch,

Tina (I'll check back in case you have something else that might work.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Try this Tina. Caution: This is modifying the Registry.  Be very careful to follow instructions carefully. Best to copy the Registry first by clicking on File >> Export >> Name the file >> Click Save and it will be saved under Documents in case you need it.

• Hit the Windows key + R to open Run.
  • Type in regedit.exe, click Ok.
  • Go to HKEY_USERS on the left hand side then DEFAULT then Control Panel then Keyboard.
  • Right click "InitialKeyboardIndicators" and click Modify and change the value to 2147483650.

Click OK and Restart Computer.

C.B.

TinaJNC

Hey C.B.,

We have a winner! Thank you Thank you Thank you! My OCD can rest now. lol Seriously though. So much better. Before Windows 8 I never had to make sure the num lock key was on after reboot. Thanks to you, now I don't again.

Sincerely Appreciative,

Tina

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

You're very welcome, Tina.  I'm glad it worked for you and you let us know. Happy New Year!

C.B.

Board Moderator
Kate29

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.