Occasional Contributor
nhendrix207
Accepted Solution

Windows 8.1 Recovery Partition?

I think at least some of my confusion is based on nomenclature but I need some information on Recovery Media.

I have read that doing a Refresh operation will return a computer to it's original out-of-the-box condition.  Does this imply that there is a Recovery Partition somewhere on the computer that can be used to refresh the computer? 

I have read that is the case.  But, when I ran a Command Prompt as Administrator, and enter a command to show the recovery image partition, my Computer tells me that I have no Recovery Partition.  Did I have one when the computer was delivered and it was removed by the Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 update? 

Do I need a Recovery Partition on my Hard Disk or should I create a ISO image for a External hard Disk?  Will the use of Toshiba Recovery Media give me something on DVD's that will allow me to restore the computer to it's current state or will that return me to the computers original state? 

There's some words tossed around on this subject:  Restore, Refresh, Reset... Which of these give me the ability to restore to the original condition and which allow me to return to the current condition?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Windows 8.1 Recovery Partition?

All of your questions are answered in detail in your User's Guide, Neal,  under "Creating Recovery Media" and "Recovery of Internal Storage Drive".  If you had given us your model info, I could tell you exactly what page. However, at the Start Screen, type "User's Guide" and hit Enter.  There is lots of other helpful information in there also.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
hendrix207

Like I said, I know what I've read. The users guide says doing a Refresh returns the Computer's systems to their original state. But I've looked for a Recovery Partition on my computer by opening a command prompt with administrator privileges and entering a "recimg\showcurrent" command it that indicates that I don't have a recover partition on my hard drive. So where did it go? Did the Windows 8.1 update delete it?
hendrix207

Maybe I never had a recovery partition to begin with.
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Type "Disk Management" at the Start Screen, click on Settings and then "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions". Attached below is what my HDD looks like.  The approximate 1 1/2 GB partition is the Recovery software and the boot manager.  The approximate 15 GB partition labeled "Healthy Primary Partition" contains the recovery data, Operating System, original Toshiba utilities, etc.

It's certainly not impossible but in my several years on this Forum, I've never had anyone report that they had no recovery partition on their machine as it came from the factory.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
nhendrix207

Okay, I see it now. I guess the Command (recimg/showcurrent) I was using in the Command Prompt Window was to see if a System Image folder existed? I don't think I have one of those created.

I guess I am really looking for a Windows 8.1 Best Practices on backup & recovery.  It appears to me that the Refresh & Reset options always get you back to the Original Windows 8 Operating System.  Files that I have created can be restored using File History backups but there is still a lot of work left in updating to Windows 8.1 and reinstalling Applications in order to get back to where I am currently with my computer.

So does it make sense to create a System Image on a secondary external computer?  Would restoring from that image return me drectly to the state my computer was in when I created the System Image? That's what I would like the option of doing.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Both Refresh and Reset do get you back to the factory installed Windows and the originally installed Toshiba Utilities.  The difference is Refresh does the job AND saves your personal  files and most, if not all, of the applications you have added.  Reset is back to what pre-W8 was called out-of-box and ANYTHING you have added since you got the machine is lost and you will have to reinstall them.

Yes, it is a very good idea to create a System image periodically (I do mine weekly) in addition the recovery media you create yourself.  There are lots of third party programs that do this.  However, I use and recommend the built in backup process. Go to Control panel and click on Windows 7 File Recovery and follow directions.  It can be scheduled there and be done without any further intervention by you. Please DO NOT ask me why they named the process "Windows 7  File Recovery". Makes absolutely no sense and has nothing whatever to do with Windows 7. In fact, on my Windows 7 machine, the process is very aptly  named "Backup and Restore".

And, yes, the whole point of having this type backup is so you can return your HDD or a brand new HDD to exactly 100% of what it was at the time you created the backup.  You will lose only what you have added since the backup.

C.B.

Occasional Contributor
nhendrix207

Thanks...that was exactly what I was looking for, a backup/restoration procedure or technique.  It seems to me as if  Windows provides some very useful tools but they all just do part of the job or a job that you'd prefer not to have to use..  I was looking to tie them together into something useful for backup and restoration.  I think I can get there using what you wrote.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Go to Control panel and click on Windows 7 File Recovery...

Do you still have that in Control Panel for Windows 8.1, CB? I don't.

Track down the Create a System Image tool in Windows 8.1

It's been moved to the History page.

Or do it this way.

How to Create and Restore System Image Backups on Windows 8.1

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

I don't have Windows 8.1, Jerry and have no intentions at this time to update to that version. I assumed the backup procedures remained the same as Windows 8.  One of these days, I guess I will learn not to assume ANYTHING about what Microsoft has done or might do!

I'll try to remember what this change is but, more likely, that's just one more question I won't try to answer in the future rather mislead someone.  I hope Neal (the OP) comes back and sees your post.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

CB, I believe this is an upgrade most everybody will make.

Unless you have a really good reason, you should probably join the rest of us.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Well, Jerry, I decided to at least consider the upgrade to W8.1 so began following the Upgrade Assistants (both MS and Toshiba) .  First, MS told me several Apps not compatible but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. Then checked the Toshiba Upgrade supported models list and found mine (L675D-S7016 PSK3JU) is NOT supported for upgrade from W8 to W8.1. I then double checked the Driver download page and found only one driver for my model for W8.1. So Toshiba made my decision for me!

C.B.

Occasional Contributor
nhendrix207

I already knew that the Windows 7 File App wan't in WIndows 8.1 from some web browsing I had done so no harm done there.  What I was missing was a big picture on what I needed to do using WIndows 8.1 to adequately backup my system.  This is what I plan on doing:

1) Backup the Recovery partition on a USB Drive

2) Make a System Image copy and periodically update it on a External Hard Drive

3) Make periodic File Copies using  Control Pannel - File History

As I understand it,

1) allows me to get back to the originally installed, out-of-the-box system if the Recovery Partition is damaged on my Laptop Hard Drive.

2) Allows me to get back to the current state of my system with app and files installed after the Original System was received.

3) Allows me to reinstall Files and data created after the Original System was received.

Is this right?  Am I not doing something that I could or should do?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

You are correct in all respects.  Thank you for letting me know I had not needlessly misled you.  Good Luck Neal; I hope you enjoy your new computer.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..checked the Toshiba Upgrade supported models list and found mine (L675D-S7016 PSK3JU) is NOT supported for upgrade from W8 to W8.1.

I don't understand, CB. Where do you find that?

TOSHIBA Windows 8.1 update information support page

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Go to the link you posted above. Click on "Toshiba Windows 8.1 FAQ's".  Second question is "I upgraded my pre-installed Windows 7 machine to Windows 8.  Can I now update to Windows 8.1". Click the answer for a list of supported models. My L675D  PSK3JU ain't there!!

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm sure surprised at that!

I wonder why Toshiba went to the trouble of listing the wireless driver under 8.1 here.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

As I mentioned earlier, there was only one driver available and that's the WLAN you saw there. I'm wondering if some of the odd problems some people have reported here about updating even with the use of the Update instructions could be due to this.  Even most who use the Instructions probably never click on that part that I just happened to do.

So one of our questions now when odd 8.1 update problems are reported needs to be, is this a Windows 7 machine that was upgraded to Windows 8 and did you check the list of supported models for update to 8.1?.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So one of our questions now when odd 8.1 update problems are reported needs to be, is this a Windows 7 machine that was upgraded to Windows 8 and did you check the list of supported models for update to 8.1?.

Good point!

-Jerry
Peter

I just wanted to jump in here with a couple of my opinions. Again, they're my opinion and not information from Toshiba.

I've used refresh successfully when troubleshooting, but when I've run it multiple times with the same conditions, I've had inconsistent results. I'd rather not use it in the future. Also, I was rather disappointed to see Windows 7 File Recovery removed in Windows 8.1. I wasn't expecting it. I might need to look into File History and other tools more now, because I don't have a system in place currently.

I always it on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers (obviously under the old name in Windows 7). I don't like to do full image backups because I don't mind reinstalling. I only care about my data, and I liked being able to restore individual files even on another computer (whether Windows 7 or Windows 8). I also don't use automated backups; I keep the backup drive disconnected and only connect it when I perform a backup (usally once per week).

The last time I did a "backup," I just copied my important data to an external. It wasn't an elegant solution and not one I'd recommend using longterm.

- Peter