Occasional Contributor
tom183
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Desktop Assist = Start Menu

Ok, it doesn't have shutdown or run or a few of those things, but it does have Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and all of your installed programs.  Pin it to the far left of your Taskbar and you're mostly back to Win7.

The question I have is:  why can't I create a link on the desktop to whereever the Start Menu really is?  It's still out there somewhere, I found several shortcuts but they're all locked down ("Deny" permissions applied to the Everyone group) and won't show the original folder.  Has anyone dared to remove that to find the original location?  Because then it should be a simple matter of creating a shortcut and pinning it to the taskbar...

And if this is Microsoft's way of dumbing things down like Apple, well, I'll get a Mac.....

Occasional Contributor
tom183

Re: Toshiba Desktop Assist = Start Menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

This link shows how to make a toolbar/shortcut to access it directly

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/easily-revive-the-classic-start-menu-hidden-withi...

Toshiba's Desktop Assist is actually better since it links to Control Panel and a few other things.

Peter

Thanks for the link! We have an article in our Knowledge Base on this subject as well.

How can I make Windows 8 seem more like Windows 7?

You can also use the Windows+X key combination to open a menu in the lower-left with many administrative tasks.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
tom183

It's funny, most of the stuff Google spits out is articles from the beta days of Win8, and they all suggest downloading freeware to recreate the Start menu (instead of creating a toolbar link to it).  And they say to get a hotmail account to forward all your POP3 mail to, instead of downloading Windows Live Essentials to get the Live Mail program (which, unlike the Metro Mail app, can actually do POP mail).

I've had my new laptop a day and a half, and don't see any need to go back to Windows 7, even if it was free - with the right tweaks (and the right information, which MS has failed miserably to provide), it's so close I can barely tell the difference.  Thanks for the [WIN]-X shortcut, that's pretty handy.

Peter

I'm glad you're finding yourself comfortable in Windows 8. I primarily stay in Desktop mode, but I really like Windows 8. Even the ability to pause local file transfers has been amazingly helpful to me!

- Peter