OskarHreins

Satellite C855D-S5302 problem with win8

I recently bought new Satellite C855D-S5302 after retiring my 12 year old Satellite after excellent service. BUT this new one comes with Windows 8 installed and that is just not cutting it for me.

Often when moving the cursor to the left, the charms screen pops up and the cursor goes nowhere until I click elsewhere. It has frozen several times so I had to restart by holding the power button down, and it doesn´t work as well with my Motorola Razr smartphone as the old XP did. I believe MS are trying to copy the Android OS but they do it terribly. Anyway, I have been searching for a way to downgrade my NEW computer to Windows 7 or something else, but haven´t found a way to do that. And according to Toshiba homepage, this model hasn´t been qualified to run Win8. So what should I do? Return the computer to the supplier? And tell everyone not to buy Toshiba? I´d rather not but I am running out of options.

Is there an Operating system available from Android for this computer?

Please help me.

Oskar

Occasional Contributor
Rickfla

Re: Satellite C855D-S5302 problem with win8

I bought same model end of Nov. You only have 14 days to return a Toshiba laptop for an exchange; after that, you have to send to them for repair. The hard drive died on mine after 4 weeks and it is now in Nashville for repair; not costing anything but is a pain. At least I have a win7 Toshiba as backup. I had no problems with the system--think win8 is fine; just takes getting used to.

Jerome1231

Windows 8 freeze and has software compatibility issues..... on c855d family machines. I have two of them both freeze lock up bought them at Walmart... Downgraded to Windows 7 pro had 5 devices having problems but after Microsoft update ran three long running updates some of them self resolved except for two of them SM bus controller and USB controller... To my confusion the driver seem to have loaded under device manager or installed default or generic drive for that device..... What need is drivers for those devices...Please help

PS.. I AM not impressed with Windows 8 and dont like it hope window 9 is better

Rickfla wrote:

I bought same model end of Nov. You only have 14 days to return a Toshiba laptop for an exchange; after that, you have to send to them for repair. The hard drive died on mine after 4 weeks and it is now in Nashville for repair; not costing anything but is a pain. At least I have a win7 Toshiba as backup. I had no problems with the system--think win8 is fine; just takes getting used to.

Rickfla wrote:

thank you

Window 7 pro 64 bit

Occasional Contributor
Rickfla

My C855D is on its way back from repair facility in Nasville; we'll see what they did to repair it. They say a full report will be with it as to what they had to do. So we'll see.

Sullivan

yep mine sucks too.

Jerome1231

ok, Guys, good news after long hours of search and pulling my hair out if, i finally resolved our common problem with the missing device SM Bus.....this problem relates back to chipset and USB 3.0 sub system .... anyway goto http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx and download under Windows 7 Tab AMD Chipset Drivers rev 12.10 release date: 10/22/2012...... this should resolve your issues with C855D-s5320 or C855D-SXXXX

Occasional Contributor
Rickfla

My 6 week old C855-D returned from the Toshiba repair facility; they did the following: replaced the hard drive, updated bios, set DMI, reloaded the factory software, and completely checked the operation of the laptop. Everything back to normal. This cured the problem hopefully for good. Others have reported the freezing problem so there may have been a series of bad HD's from AMD, who knows.

OskarHreins

Thanks you all for the posts. I will return my computer to the vendor to have them repair it.

princeali757

Satellite C855D-S5100 problem with touchpad

Some time touch Pad is not working and its speed is also slow

Occasional Contributor
Rickfla

Re: Satellite C855D-S5302 problem with win8 Same Problems Occuring Again

Looks like I'll have to return my C855D S5340 once again to the repair facility; same problems of freezing, IE and Chrome and Toshiba.com non responsive most of the time; took the laptop several times over a minute to access its own control panel. This is ridiculous. I hardly have anything on this laptop. Ihave dumped a bunch of apps, got rid of several unwanted programs like Office that I don't even use. I do a disc clean every day. Nothing helps. If I lived in Nahvillethey would have this dumped on their front desk in person. Now I have to go thru all that CS rep B.S. to once again return this.

OskarHreins

Re: Satellite C855D-S5302 problem with win8 Same Problems Occuring Again

Here is an update. I received my computer after the vendor had been working on it for over a month. It was a little better in some ways but still I was having BSOD and restart again and again. After some searching I found an BIOS update here at Toshiba homepage. I downloaded the update, burned it on a cd as a iso image and installed it and Voila now I have a new computer. It hasn´t given me a problem after that, now two weeks later. Hope this helps.

wastingmytime

I couldn't agree more.  I have been buying Toshibas for a very long time.  To find out that the new satellite could not support a reasonable OS is a farce.  Now taking 35 seconds to open up a print dialogue box and many other Win8 nuances that are problematic.

Does anyone have any results from Win8.1 and can we order it from Toshiba.  Decided I'm not buying any other laptops until I can get this Win8.1 and see if it works...  Can someone from Toshiba advise if there is an 8.1 upgrade for the sattelite laptops?