mombl

Realtek WLAN Driver or Atheros WLAN Driver

I've followed Toshiba instructions in prep for Windows 8.1 update tomorrow.  I updated all the item in Service Station and uninstalled Realtek WLAN driver per Appendix A instructions (I used Control Panel/Program Uninstall but not Device Manager which now says there is unknown Network Adaptor for Wireless).  I lost wifi connection but hooked up to ethernet to access internet.  Instructions now say to install drivers before installing Windows 8.1. 

Service Station does not show driver updates so I checked on support.toshiba.com for compatible drivers with my Toshiba Satellite C55-A5309 (64bit).  There are two displayed with posted date of Oct 17, 2013: 

(1) Realtek Wireless LAN version 2012.1.0712.2013 Logo 68.54M

(2) Atheros Wireless LAN driver version 10.0.0.263  37.45M

How do I know which to choose/install before I install Windows 8.1?

Thank you,  Sue

Peter

Re: Realtek WLAN Driver or Atheros WLAN Driver

If you had the Realtek driver installed previously, it sounds like that's the one. However, if your connection is working with your Ethernet, I'd probably recommend not getting the drivers from the support site yet. Honestly, it would probably be fine if you did, but I'd suggest just following those directions. If it tells you to get all the updates from Service Station and there are none, then that step's done and move on. If however after you upgrade successfully and it's never given you a wireless driver, we'll fix that.

- Peter
mombl

I finished installing Windows 8.1 update today. I re-ran Service Station and updated all recommended software except one:  Realtek Audio Driver (it says to manually uninstall it first but I only had Realtek High Defnition Audio Driver on my system so I didn't uninstal it).  Do I need to uninstall the HD version and then install the RealTek Audio Driver contained in Service Station?  I don't know whether you can have both drivers at the same time.

PS  When I uninstall a driver, do I need to do it through Device Manager or Programs & Features Uninstall?  If both, which should be done first?

Peter

Wireless Connection Broken - After Updating to Win 8.1

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

Peter

You just need to do it through the Programs & Features, not Device Manager.

You were correct to leave "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver." You only need to remove something if it matches an entry on the list exactly. Don't remove that one, but if Service Station has offered you another similarly named one, go ahead and get it.

- Peter