adnav3
Accepted Solution

Problems after windows 8.1 update

[ Edited ]

Hi! I installed the new windows 8.1 update on the 20th and since then I've been having a few issues.

My laptop is a toshiba satellite L850-1PC

part number PSKG8E-05400LEP

intel corei5, 2.60GHz

4GB RAM

that already came with Windows 8 x64

Everything was running smoothly until I upgraded to W 8.1.

The main issues happen after the computer hibernates.

When I hibernate the laptop and later turn it back on, some of the things that have happened, on different occasions (sometimes simultaneously, other times separetely) are:

- loss of function keys action. They are usually configured for the special function mode. Some will work if I press the Fn key, but some (like the plane mode) won't.

- the adaptative brightness property goes wacko! I always have it off, those settings didn't change, however suddenly the screen brightness starts adapting and there's no way to stop it.

When the system hibernates by itself the screen display goes beserk, as seen here.

photo DSCN1540.jpg

Also, the catalyst control center doesn't work. Rougly the message can be translated to : The catalyst control can't be initiated. At the moment there are no configurations that can be set by Catalyst control Center.

Avast free antivirus and Zone alarm free firewall also stopped working. But I know that I'll have to wait for those to be updated by their respective software companies.

Today, I found out that I didn't follow the several steps listed by toshiba for the W 8.1 update(I didn't even know they existed).

My Toshiba service station says there are no software updates available. However, if I input my laptop's serial into the driver search on the toshiba website I get 15 results.

What can I do to solve my problems? 
Should I go back to windows 8.0 using system restore? and go through all the steps recommended by toshiba? And then upgrade?

Should I just install the drivers listed on the toshiba website? even though they don't show on service station?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Problems after windows 8.1 upgrade

Satellite L850-1PC (PSKG8E-05400LEP)

From Portugal?

Did you follow the instructions carefully?

How to Update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

Probably best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media and do it again.

-Jerry
adnav3

Hi Jerry! thanks for the reply!

As I mentioned on my other post, I didn't know about the instructions, until after I had installed the update. So now I'm just trying to solve this mess.

I have a few questions about your suggestion to reboot to the original out-of the box settings.

- Do I really have to use recovery media? Wouldn't using a restore point, created before the installation (I did take that preventative measure), do the same job? Or are there any disadvantages to system restore vs recovery media?

- If I use recovery media, will it influence my documents? as well as my installed programs? or just the operational system?

- What if, instead of using system recovery or recovery media, I installed the drivers I found on the toshiba website? (even though they're not listed by the service station). You see, from all the steps in the instructions, the one thing I didn't do was uninstall the toshiba components. And from all the programs listed in Appendix A, the only one I have/had is Toshiba PC Health Monitor.

I'm just trying not to go through the pain of formatting my laptop; or installing the W 8.1 again, because it took a lot of time

Oh and..

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite L850-1PC (PSKG8E-05400LEP)

From Portugal?

Busted!!! yes, I'm  from Portugal and so is my laptop :smileyhappy:. Don't tell me this is one those models that are exclusive for a certain country...

Once again, thank you very much for the help
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know if you can recover at this point or not. Try it this way.

Uninstall whatever you have on that computer that's in Appendix A here,

Then reinstall those same things from here,

-Jerry
adnav3

Thanks Jerry!!

That's what I was more inclined to do. 

So, from all the drivers that were listed on the the site you recommended, I actually looked up at all the drivers that weren't up to date on my laptop.

I uninstalled toshiba pc health monitor (because it was on appendix A), as well as other drivers that were out-of-date (eco utility, service station and function key utility).

Then I installed the most recent versions of the drivers I had unistalled.

Since then I've put the laptop into hibernation once, or twice. When turned back on, everything was fine. :smileyhappy:

So we'll see how it rolls from this point on. But for now, everything is working just fine.

So, once again, thanks a lot for the assistance!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

for now, everything is working just fine.

That's great! Thanks for letting us know.

-Jerry
neverett

I'm trying to help an friend who did what you did with her computer -- installed the 8.1 update before installing the Toshiba updates.  Since it looks like your approach worked for fixing the problem, I'd like to clarify the process you used.

First, how did you determine which drivers weren't up to date on your laptop.  Having done that, did you uninstall the outdated ones through Device Manager?  Lastly, did you use Service Station to install the new drivers -- or did you go directly to the Toshiba driver support page?

Thanks.  I appreciate whatever additional clarification you can provide.