hergie10

New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse disappears

I received a Toshiba Satellite Laptop for Christmas and it is running Windows 8. I started using it and it worked fine, but I started using Internet Explorer and the mouse froze, but I could still use my keyboard to get back to the start-page and move around with the up/down/left/right keys. My mouse was no where to be found on the start-page. I used the ctrl-alt-delete to log out, and then when the log-in screen came up my mouse reappeared and seemed to be working again. I logged back in and my mouse worked for a few seconds, then disappeared. I did the same things over and over again a few times, and either the mouse was nowhere to be found from the get-go, or it worked for a bit then disappeared once I started doing things. I shut down, and restarted multiple times. Any fix for this problem? If it is a Windows 8 problem I am very disappointing at the moment with the software :smileysad: Thank you, and happy holidays.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse disappears

Since it's a brand new machine, you should restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. That will determine whether the problem is due to hardware or not.

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

Always tell us which computer you have when you post here. See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
sandraperretta

This may be the one i sold - but what we found was that the F5 key brought the mouse back .  I am not sure how it happened in the first place.  But F5 is "refresh" .  this is a POOR choice for a function key that disables the mouse, since now to get the FUNCTION for f5, you need to press fn and F5 .  If you hit just f5 like we used to, it will disable the mouse ... hmmmmmm.  nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Occasional Contributor
sandraperretta

See below .. and try the F5 BEFORE you reset!!!!

kcoup

I ran into exactly the same problem. Using the F5 key didn't resolve this. When I took a look at the driver information for the touchpad (Synaptics pointing device) in the Device Manager, it appeared that a new driver had been installed as the Rollback Driver button was enabled (the pc may have received an update via windows update). I rolled back the driver and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

the pc may have received an update via windows update

That's why I don't allow Windows Update to willy-nilly do its thing. I get my device drivers from the OEM.

-Jerry
smaccia

thank you soooo much. your suggestion of holding down FN and F5 actually worked!!!!! My mouse returned.

Mkuiaplor

That's correct. The F5 key is the easy way to restore the missing mouse pointer.

Peter

Re: New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 stolen

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

troylbc99

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU sandraparetta!!! I am an advanced IT/CADD Manager and bought this thing as a "guinea pig" since I only really know up to Win7 Pro in business application settings. I hit F5 to refresh my favorites that I imported into Explorer 10 that I installed on the desktop, and didn't really have results, so I tried CNTRL F5 and F5 repeatedly until suddenly the pad/mouse stopped working except when you exited to the Lock screen or Start screen. I was boxing it up because I concluded that Win8 is a piece of S#%t operating system, but once I read your input it saved me! That is a really stupid thing that they decided to do for any users over the age of about 35... I guess they would never use the function keys anyway. Oh well, it will be a while until all us MS-DOS users die off-

kedtd

Thank you so much...was pulling my hair out when cursor disappeared.......finally found the microscopic lettering
for the F5 key and it brought the thing back........so glad this forum exists.....thanks again
onealt379

have you recently used a transfer cable to move files from an older pc to the new one?

if so, then windows 8 may have tried to set your mouse pointer to an older scheme from the old computer that does not exist under windows 8. therefore, you need to pick a new mouse pointer scheme under control panel/hardware/mouse on the pointers tab. hope you have resolved your issue by now but this is also for future problems.

Holly000

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I've been having this curson/touch pad problem off, and on since I got my new laptop the day after Christmas 2013. Pressing F5 works perfectly. 

I can't thank you enough. It was a very annoying problem.

Holly :smileyhappy:

Cathym91

I uninstalled the driver and that's what worked for me! I can't believe this is still an issue
gilred13

Which driver did you uninstall? Sorry I know nothing about this, just that my mouse dissapears :-/

wonky

[ Edited ]

For sandraperretta ... Brilliant - thank you... and I am so glad I didnt go through the process listed by the responder above yours!!!