Occasional Contributor
Rogercl76

My Toshiba DVD/RW drive is not recognized after upgrading to windows 8 preview, Need Help?

[ Edited ]

I was writing to find out when there will be a fix for compatibility my new toshiba DVD/RW drive (Device IDE\CdRomOptiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7703S). I just installed windows 8 preview but my dvd is not working it is sating this in ther device manager area: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) 

Satellite A665-S6086

Occasional Contributor
Rogercl76

DVD/RW not working with Windows 8 upgrade. Addition to previous question.

Regarding my Satellite A665-S6086 DVD/RW drive not being able to work after upgrading to Windows 8 preview. This is what microsoft suggested but didi't work. It also says when I try to update driver, it is uptodate?

Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall the driver Uninstall the driver from Device Manager and scan for new hardware to install the driver again.  You can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

Follow the steps given in the link below:

a) Drag the mouse to bottom left corner and right-click on the ‘Start icon’.

b) Select ‘device manager’

c) In Device Manager, right-click on the CD/DVD ROM driver.

d) Click ‘Uninstall’.

e) Follow the prompts to continue to uninstall the ‘Driver’.

Once uninstall restart the computer, then try to install the CD/DVD ROM drivers from manufacturer’s website in compatibility mode.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=Download&sn=false

Method 2: If that does not help, you may have to check to remove the upper and lower filters from registry.

Note: This method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow these steps:

a)        Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)       On the Run window, type regedit.exe and press Enter.

c)        Collapse this imageExpand this iIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

Collapse this imageExpand this imageLocate, and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

a.        In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

b.        Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

c.         In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

d.        Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

e.        Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Occasional Contributor
superjamz

Re: DVD/RW not working with Windows 8 upgrade. Addition to previous question.

I have this exact issue and the 2 methods listed will not fix it at all.  It might be becuase the default class of my dvd/cd-rom drive has a value of none.  I can get the drive to work if i do a clean install, but then I can't get the realtek or Toshibal Blu-Ray drivers/software to install.  This worked in the origional consumer preview, but it is broken in the current build 8400 version.

vazquez1980

Hi I recently install Win 8 on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop C675, and know I have a code 19 on the cd/dvd driver. I tried everything, I check for a driver update - doesn't work, I uninstall and reinstall the driver - doesn't work, I try to delete the upper limit/lower limit, but when I open the registry and check for those on the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, does options are not available. I also uninstall ZUNE software, but it doesn't work. I try to add an external dvd and have the same problem code 19. I also removed all my dvd writer software including the Toshiba recovery disk creator.

Please somebody help, this is a new laptop, and I love windows 8!!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If the Fix it here does not work, try this (after disconnecting the USB drive).

Uninstall all the drivers for optical drives in Device Manager. Perform the registry surgery in the attachment. Then reboot to reinstall the driver for the internal drive.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Rogercl76

Tried the suggestion listed above for the fix-it and the attachment. it still doesn't allow for the DVD/CD to work on Windows 8 Preview. It seems that the drive is showing up in device manager but I assume it is not recognized by windows 8 preview some how or the driver isn't?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Mystery to me.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Rogercl76

To me to. I also have it posted on Microsofts Windows 8 Preview forum and that have stated that this is just the beta preview build and Toshiba should be developing a driver for all their computers and hardware that will work with the preview for the final releasse. i guess my concern is for now until i get that I will not be able to use my DVD/CD drive or any customer becasue you can return to Windows & once you upgrade. So I don't want to have to go buy a protable one until the driver is made or the final version of Windows 8.

Occasional Contributor
superjamz

I had the same issue; only real way to fix it right now is to do a clean install of windows 8.  Only problem is that the Toshiba Blu-Ray Player will not work, but at least you can access the drive.  The Corel WinDvd Player will work in Windows 8.  Even though Corel actually makes the Toshiba Player.  I went back to win 7.  i don't have the money to pay for a 3rd party solution to a driver conflict in Windows 8.  The Blu-Ray player worked perfectly in the first commerical preview of 8 so Microsoft must have changed something to break it.

Occasional Contributor
Rogercl76

Thanks for that information. I really like windows 8 so I am going to have wait until Toshiba has and update driver that will work with Windows 8 preview or windows 8 for my DVD/CD drive: DVD RW AD-7703S.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

On my L355, I can access information from CD's or DVD's, but when trying to watch a DVD I get an error message saying:

"Unable to Playback.  Another Application that may be using the PC's Video function may be running"

I couldn't figure out how to close Bing maps, which I thought might have been the issue, so I restarted the computer.  No dice.  I only installed Windows 8 last night, so I have a LOT more exploring to do.  Everything is easy to find in 7, not so much in 8.  Once I get more familiar with the layout, I will come back to my DVD issue to see if I can fix it.

zeroamp

Re: My Toshiba DVD/RW drive is not recognized after upgrading to windows 8 preview, Need Help?

[ Edited ]

I found the same problem. I then reinstalled the Toshiba Disc Creator beta

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/downloadDetail.jsp?pf=true&soid=3386432

and just like magic the DVD is back and playing through VLC perfectly!

fire1

Re: My Toshiba DVD/RW drive is not recognized after upgrading to windows 8 preview, Need Help?

Wow the above fix worked great, thankyou so much.  Hopefully Toshiba comes out with this as the final fix version.  Thanks again.

craigparsons

zeroamp 

thanks heaps for that, i was about to get medievil on the registry

wilingles

copy & paste this link

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?origin=new&ct=DL 

then choose your operating system e.i. windows 8(32 or 64 bit), then choose DVD & you should see at least to downloads 1) Toshiba Video Player (3D)(v4.00.8.05-A3D; 10-31-2012; 51.95M)

2)TOSHIBA VIDEO PLAYER (2D)(v4.00.8.05-A2D; 10-31-2012; 51.95M)

you can install either or both, you will then be able to install the Toshiba Video Player that will ...

It worked for me, I hope it works for everyone with the same problem.

Bryeguy

Thanks for this! It worked like a champ to adjusttheregi  stryal  ittle. I was apprehensive, but if all else failed I was going to do a recovery anyhow since my refresh wouldn't work!