CMS101
Accepted Solution

How to do a clean installation from Windows 8 to Windows 7?

Hello everyone, I just bought a Toshiba Satellite (C855-S5355) with Windows 8, but I don't really like this OS so I would like to do a clean installation with Windows 7.

So here is the big problem, I put a Windows 7 CD and reboot, boot from DVD ROM, the system just doesn't do anything, it's keep showing "Checking Media [Fail]. No matter what I do like changing the boot order, still do the same.

What should I do to fix this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How to do a clean installation from Windows 8 to Windows 7?

[ Edited ]

Satellite C855-S5355

Let us know if this works properly to boot from an optical disc.

(1) Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.
(2) Power on and press F2 while the TOSHIBA logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.
(3) Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".
(4) Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."
(5) Press F10 to save and exit.

-Jerry
CMS101

Thanks for you help, it's working now, but another problem just pop out....

I can't install the OS in the hdd because the hdd's partition is in GPT, tried convert to MBR partition in dos command but it doesn't work ( because it only has one partition.)

What can I do now?

Thanks again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

the hdd's partition is in GPT

The solution is to delete all the partitions and recreate one or more. That's easily done during Windows 7's Setup.

Windows and GPT FAQ

-Jerry
CMS101

Thanks for your help! Finally I did a clean installation with Windows 7.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Great!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Wyberski

Would this work with the new P875 that has Windows 8 installed?

innovative

"Would this work with the new P875 that has Windows 8 installed?"

I would like to know this too :smileyhappy:

peter333

Unfortunately my brand new Toshiba P870 Satellite has the UEFI setting unchangeable in System Configuration. I can only disable the secure boot. Any thoughts?

Megacab53

I have done all of this and when i have the win 7 CD in the drive it tries to boot but says none bootable device. and keeps going back to it. I cant even get to the bios screen to change it back.

Satellite P855-S5312

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P855-S5312

I cant even get to the bios screen..

Normally, Windows 8 does not really shut down. It does a sort of minimal hibernate. You need to do a complete shutdown in order for F2 to work on boot. To do that, hold down the Shift key when you click Shutdown.

Restart also does a complete shutdown.

-Jerry
MICHELO

Unfortunately I do not let enter the BIOS setup press f2 or f12 so do not enter, nor let me change the boot settings for the same reason I have tried everything even deleting the partitions, remove the hard drive and install windows 7 in a similar machine but put the OS does not recognize me.

If someone helps me in some way to enter the BIOS or reset the BIOS settings or CMOS THROUGH something I'm desperate my laptop is a Satellite P855-S5312 and I put it in Win 7

Greetings and thanks in advance

broket

Hi,

Just purchased a C855 for an elderly customer and have a couple of questions:

I can downgrade this to Win 7 (can't wait to do this) with a license if the install OS is 8 Pro - there is nowhere in the docs that came with the laptop and nowhere (that I can find) inside Win 8, no sticker on the case, etc.

The reason I ask is if the customer wishes to revert at some time in the future.

Also - is it possible to repartition the drive so as to retain the Win8 recovery data, save a Win8 partition (bootable) and create a new, active partition with Win7 booting from it?

I realise this is technically more than 2 questions :smileywink:

Thanks in advance.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

broket wrote:..

You're correct the Pro has downgrade rights. Most of Toshiba's Satellite line does not come with Pro installed. To find out, run About Windows (winver.exe). If it's Pro, there's a reference like "The Windows 8 Pro operating system..." as below.

About.jpg

Regarding the recovery partition,..

1. You need to repartition the disc for Windows 7 because it must be transformed from an EFI to an MBR disk.

2. You can burn recovery discs (or a flash drive) from the recovery partition before you replace Windows 8.

Always tell us which Satellite C855 you have when you post here. You should find a part number that looks like PSC72U-01600C someplace. If it's not on a label on the bottom, it's someplace in Toshiba's information files. Windows 7 machines have it in the PC Diagnostic Tool.

-Jerry
broket

Fantastic replies Jerry - thank you so much.

The C855 is reporting itself as PSCBWE.

If I create the recovery disks I assume (yeah, I know :smileywink: the license will be embedded somewhere?

Thanks again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The C855 is reporting itself as PSCBWE.

The model looks something like Satellite C855-1W9. The part number like PSCBWE-04L00NEN.

If I create the recovery disks I assume (yeah, I know :smileywink: the license will be embedded somewhere?

The restored Windows is preactivated. 

In OEM Windows 8, it's also on the motherboard that you have purchased it.

-Jerry
itnetllc

I bought a Qosmio X875-7380. Does this steps work the same way for this laptop? One last thing, I heard that deleting the partitions might void the warrany. Is this correct? Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X875-Q7380

Does this steps work the same way for this laptop? One last thing, I heard that deleting the partitions might void the warrany. Is this correct?

Yes, it should work the same.

Changing what's on the hard drive, including partitions, does not void the warranty. But you would need to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media to show that something is really wrong.

-Jerry
splatter

sorry to tag onto this thread but I can't find where to start a new thread .

I have a satellite l855-s5309 . I want to wipe windows 8 off and install windows 7 . will windows 7 work on this computer or are there missing drivers that will prevent some things from working ? If there are missing drivers will i be able to find what I need to make it work ?

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can't find where to start a new thread

The New Message button.

NewMessage.JPG

-Jerry