dlowrey

How to Install Win7 over Win8?

Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5100 with factory installed Win8

I want to put Win7 on this computer and I have full 32bit Win7 backup disc.

I reset the computer to boot from CD (to boot from the Win7 disc), but the boot failed.

I then tried to run setup.exe from within Win8.  The Win7 install started but then failed for "unspecified error".

I do not have Win7 32 bit repair disc.

What do I need to do?  Will it work if I reformat the HD from Win8.

Second question.  Anyone know if there are any driver problems using the Win7 OS on this Satellite laptop's hardware?

Thanks for your time!

Regular Advisor
billkunert

Re: How to Install Win7 over Win8?

Win 8 doesn't do a complete shutdown when you turn it off so it won't boot from the dvd drive.  You need to hold down the shift key during shutdown to get a complete shut down.  Win 8 has been very satisfactory for me.  In desktop mode it's just like Win 7 except it doesn't have a start button.  I find it a bit faster than Win7.

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C855D-S5100

..any driver problems using the Win7 OS on this Satellite laptop's hardware?

I don't see any Windows 7 drivers for that model.

-Jerry
kyleb350

[ Edited ]

After a couple issues I was able to install Windows 7 (builder kit) on my new Satellite P870. I first set boot to CD, but subsequently had the Windows setup screen freeze. After some research, I had to change the boot mode (you may want to try that for your first issue). I installed an additional SSD that I was going to put the Windows copy on, but came across an issue during installation. Apparently, it did not like my original HD, so I removed that temporarily for the install. The last issue I am still trying to get through refers to your last question. I cannot locate the correct Windows 7 drivers for my SRS sound and the keyboard interface for volume and brightness controls.

Occasional Contributor
devortiz06

Are you Able to get back to the bios from windows 7? I just installed windows 7 on a second hard drive in a satellite p870. I was able to get back to the bios once by holding shift on shutdown but it hasn't worked since. When I got into the bios I changed the boot mode back to uefi so I could get back into windows 8 and find some drivers, after that I changed the boot settings again and went back into windows 7 and haven't been able to get back to the bios or windows 8 since. It goes straight to the starting windows screen.