pvijapurapu

Gestures not working on synaptics touchpad after installing windows 8 (portege R835)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I recently upgraded to windows 8 from windows 7. All touchscreen gestures should have similar touchpad counterparts. However, the left and right swipe gesture (to change to previous app and invoke charms) on touchpad is not working for me. I have tried updating synaptics driver and also tried downloading synaptics scrybe driver for windows 7 from http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers, but these gestures are not working for me. Could someone provide a solution to this problem ?

Toshiba portege R835 / Synaptics touchpad / windows 8 pro

Peter

Re: Gestures not working on synaptics touchpad after installing windows 8 (portege R835)

Can you check the laptop's full model and part numbers from the label on the bottom?

- Peter
pvijapurapu

Re: Gestures not working on synaptics touchpad after installing windows 8 (portege R835)

full model is Toshiba Portege R835-P56x and

part no is PT324U-008003

Peter

I don't see Windows 8 touchpad drivers for that model right now. If you've already tried reinstalling the latest Windows 7 one from Toshiba as well, you might want to contact customer support at (800) 457-7777 to see if they have any tips.

- Peter
pvijapurapu

Spoke to tech support, and they informed that i'll have to wait for windows 8 specific drivers from Toshiba.

Peter

Sorry to hear there wasn't a solution at this time.

- Peter
pvijapurapu

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Synaptics seem to have updated its drivers for windows 8. Please check the location http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers.

I installed the latest version (v16.2.21) from there, and now i am able to use gestures on touchpad for windows 8. This is definitely better.

Occasional Advisor
DonD

[ Edited ]

The new Synaptics driver (v16.2.21) works like a charm on my Satellite L755.  Much easier to navigate around Windows 8 now.  Seems like it should work fine on anything with a Synaptics touch pad.

Peter

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it.

- Peter
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

pvijapurapu, your link to the Synaptics driver in  your last post is broken (at least for me using Firefox or IE9).  Please fix it so others can benefit.  Thank you. The supposed same link in  your very first post does work. :smileysurprised:

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
en28so

I wanted to ask you guys if you think that the drivers straight from Synaptics work better than the drivers from Toshiba for Synaptics, since I installed the latter on my Z935 P300 and the touch pad is missing a the function to scroll up and down on web pages? Thanks
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Normally, we suggest strongly that only Toshiba drivers be used in any Toshiba laptop.  In fact, many drivers people try other than Toshiba simply won't work or come up with a message to get the driver from Toshiba. In your other post, I gave you the Toshiba driver first and only offered the Synaptics driver after you were still complaining. In fact, I have never before suggested using any driver other than Toshiba.

You now have the latest Windows 8 Beta TouchPad driver and the one from Synaptics which had just been reported today by two posters to provide the features you wanted.  There are no others! Seems like you will have to make do with one or the other until perhaps Toshiba comes up with a regular version rather than Beta.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
pvijapurapu

cbwilsha, thanks for pointing out the broken link. Here, i give the link again and hope that it works 

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

in any case, as cbwilsha pointed out, the link in my original post works anyway, so feel free to use it.

Occasional Contributor
en28so

OK thanks for the tips.
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

pvijapurapu, yes the link works in your latest post.  Thank you.

C.B.

C.B.

Occasional Contributor
dantsatsan

I have a Satellite L505 and the drivers from Synaptics do work better for me. What I did is: Installed the drivers from Toshiba, then the drivers from Synaptics. The only problem is: Windows update will rollback my drivers to the Toshiba drivers from 2008 if I let it.

Confused2

[ Edited ]

i understand this is an oldish post. but if i made a new thread people would have told me to use the seach tool so here you go.

i have a L755D-S5171 and i cannot get any gestures to work, when i try to install the generic drivers from synaptic's site i get an error "Install Failed" with no other reasons as to why it doesn't work (i tried compatability mode, uninstalling the old drivers and install the genaric ones, reinstall the old ones and try to install the generic ones again nothing seems to work).  the toshiba drivers are way out of date and i would like to have gestures on my laptop.  any ideas?