Dillon258

Function Keys on Windows 8.1

Hi, New to these forums so I'm not totally sure this is where this needs to be, but going to give it a shot. I am wondering if there's a way to disable or edit what the Function Keys do on Windows 8.1. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, it came with Windows 8 on it and I recently updated it to Windows 8.1. I play an online game which allows you to use Function Keys to use certain things in the game, but with the way it is right now, it just controls functions on the actual laptop (such as brightness, disable/enable touchpad and pause/play a song) but I am wanting to see if I can change some of them so that I can use a couple of them on the game I play. Thank you for your help in advance!
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Function Keys on Windows 8.1

At the Start screen, activate the Charms Bar and click on  Settings.  Click on Change PC Settings and then click on Keyboard.  There you have a choice of how the F keys work.  The one you want is to require pressing the FN key plus an F Key to do the computer functions. That should leave the F key pressed by itself to do what you want.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Dillon258

PC.png

This is what I see when I get the Charms bar up and click settings and then Change PC Settings. I don't see "Keyboard" anywhere. I see the "Keyboard" option on there but it's not lit up, it's not clickable.

PC2.png

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Your "pictures" are worthless.  I get nothing here but a big triangle! Try posting them as Attachments. However, there are two other ways to explore.  Some Windows 8 machines still have a folder called "HWSetup".  At the Start screen, type HWSetup and if you have it, look under the Keyboard tab for the setting we've been talking about.

If you also do not have the HWSetup folder, shutdown the computer while holding down the Shift key.  On startup, tap the F2 key until the BIOS (AKA UEFI) shows.  Look under the Advanced tab for the setting.  If not there, look around elsewhere in the BIOS.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Dillon258