William2x

Don't like Windows 8

After getting my new laptop (toshiba) with Windows 8 and trying it out for a month I can officially say that I personally do not like the new windows 8-it is not easy to navigate. I prefer Windows 7.

William2x

PS and yes I have been through all the videos to help with the change process and windows 8 is still not easy to navigate and I can't stand it-personal feelings.

My wife is more computer orientated than I am and says that she doesn't like it and would not ever get a computer with Windows 8. We both do not like the way the tiles are-we prefer the way Windows 7 is set up and mail is easier to get to and in fact everything is easier to get to in 7. 

Occasional Contributor
Wyberski

Re: Don't like Windows 8

I also tried it on the new P875 and just can't get used to Windows 8. Sometimes I get into some tile and can't get out. I always seem to be pressing the Windows Key on the Key board. When I loaded all my programs the tile boxes listed everything in the program. For what, it is part of the program and all I need is a tile for the main program.

I also did a comparison test on 2 Toshiba I7 computers. one with Windows 7 and the other Windows 8. I test opening the same program at the same time. Windows 7 always opened first and Windows 8 sjust lagged around with that scrolling thingy. Whoever says Windows 8 is faster need to check again, it is not.

The list is to many to go on. Windows 7 is surley better than Windows 8....by the way, some programs will not even work in windows 8...

HeidiH

I have been trying to respond to your post for over an hour and while I had meant to confine my comments to Windows8, frankly Toshiba's website could use an overhaul. I am retyping this. Again.

In any event, I have been using Windows8 for a week now. Although I have used Macs at home for about 12 years, I have been a longtime windows user and I didn't think twice abou it. I should have.

I don't think 8 is designed for people who use their computer/laptop for actual work. The Start Page is full of trivial and mediocre apps - most of which I unpinned within 48 hours. The Desktop is strangely dated, lacking the attributes   that made 7 worthwhile. I installed the Start8 start button app, courtesy of Lifehacker's recommendation, downloaded Google Chrome, and since I got this laptop primarily for a piece of writing software that I owned, I also downloaded Jarte and LibreOffice which are very elegant.

There is a lack of finesse about the functionality between the two pages that bothers me. I avoid the Start Page and if there was an app to load the Desktop first, I would be all over that like a cheap suit. The amount of time I spent trustingly clicking open tiles and then fighting to get free of the redirects for other unwanted services was maddening. Microsoft's online tutorials are worth little and often imprecise. They strike me as cut and pasted from a stockholders annual meeting powerpoint. All sizzle, no steak. As for Toshiba, I was quite irritated when they emailed me a link for a free download of the Windows8 dummies ebook, only to discover that I had to provide my address, phone AND a credit card first. I complained to customer service and got a "this is how we do things" reply.  Well, Toshiba, if you're reading this, please be aware that Dell offers a free download of the Windows8 pocket guide to anyone who requests it, customer or not, for which I thanked them. I will definitely look at Dell the next time around. 

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

"I avoid the Start Page and if there was an app to load the Desktop first, I would be all over that like a cheap suit".

Heidi--Your wish is my command!  See HERE for how to get Desktop to open first. 

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Regular Advisor
billkunert

C.B.

Thanks for your post.  I tried it and it works well.  The only downside is that it opens windows explorer but that's no big thing.

Thanks again

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
HeidiH

[ Edited ]

cbwilsha wrote:

"I avoid the Start Page and if there was an app to load the Desktop first, I would be all over that like a cheap suit".

cbwilsha wrote:

Heidi--Your wish is my command!  See HERE for how to get Desktop to open first. 

C.B.

Why, thanks very much - that was very kind of you. One step at a time!

Occasional Advisor
TxMtb

If you are using Start8, you can set it to take you directly to the Desktop. Right click on the Start8 button and select Configure Start8, tehn go to the Desktop tab, the last item there is to go directly to the Desktop. I never use teh Metor interface unless I fell like messing around with it.