J-o-e

Defrag Windows 8 System Partition

I have a Satellite L850D-BT3N22 laptop with Windows 8 and my System partition is 29% fragmented and defrag won't let me defrag it.  After I tried to defrag it the first time, that's when it told me it was 29% fragmented and in need of defraging.  Any ideas how to do this?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Defrag Windows 8 System Partition

[ Edited ]

Satellite L850D-BT3N22

Downloads here.

defrag won't let me defrag it.

I don't know what you're doing or seeing. Defrag can be run from a command prompt or from a GUI window. It's run weekly by default.

Let's start with the GUI.

Open Defragment and Optimize Drives (dfrgui.exe).  Do you see something like this?

DefragGUI.jpg

Can you select the C drive and explain? Please attach pictures showing what you mean.

-Jerry
latinmer

I have a Satellite L855 & I'm getting the exact same message as you - my "System Hard disk drive Needs optimization (29% fragmented)" and I get the same message every time I click "Optimize".

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

latinmer wrote:..

Are you willing to share the model number of your Satellite L855 and the information I requested above?

-Jerry
ronald-corry

I also got anomalous results when I tried to defrag the system partition, which was reported as 31% fragmented and needing attention.  I have Windows 8 on a Qosmio X870 series Model PSPLZU-003002.  When I opened the GUI it showed four drives/partitions-  C:, D:, restore, and system.  The only one identified as needing defrag was system.  But every time I tried to defrag it the GUI would list a status of “running” for just a fraction of a second and then revert back to its original condition with the only change being the date/time stamp updated.

I figured the system partition was probably physically on the C: drive so I tried to work around by defragging C:.  That seemed to work for C: (painfully slowly, you might want to mention that to someone) but there was no change for system.

I also tried to run defrag in a DOS window.  The system said I did not have the permissions required to run defrag.

The most reliable way to get in touch with me is by email:  ronald.corry@cox.net

thx mch,

rc

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X875-Q7390 (PSPLZU-003002)

Ronald, I recommend that you (and all other viewers of this message) stay away from the System partition. There's a reason Toshiba does not assign a drive letter.

-Jerry
ronald-corry

Well, I was rather surprised when system showed up in the drive list.   And I was even more surprised when it said defrag was needed.  That fooled me into thinking it would be ok to defrag system.  If you have any influence with Microsoft and/or Toshiba, you might want to mention that to them.  But whether you do or don’t, you should mention how painfully slow defrag runs.  Thanks for your time and effort.

thx mch,

rc

Diozark

I have the same problem, and the date changes too.

Boy I am Sorry I bought this piece o crap.

msteele321

I have the same thing, also.  System Needs Optimization, 29% defragmented.  I could choke the tech who told me to get Win 8.  :-(

colin1182

Anyone have the problem I am showing in this screen shot? I cannot defrag this mystery volume at the bottom of the list with the "? Volume" and don't even know what it is since it won't specify or show up in any device or disk manager, yet it shows up for my optimize and defragment window.

Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because this volume continues to get more and more fragmented as time goes on and I cannot do anything to fix it.

Thanks everyone.Defragment Problem_Screen Shot.jpg

Peter

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.