Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

DVD Drive problem in Windows 8

I have a L755-S5214 laptop. Can anyone help me please with 2 of my problems.

1. I upgraded it to Windows 8 yesterday. Everything seems to be working ok without installing any drivers except DVD drive. In the Device Manager it shows a yellow exclaimation mark on entry of DVD drive (TSST Corp CDDVDW TS-L633F) and the following error message is there:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" .

I have tried most of the things I found about this problem on the internet like adding a registry entry(didnt work) lowelimit-upperlimit entry in registry(This entry is not present in my case). Lastly, disabling Toshiba ODD service from Services and then uninstalling the device, reinstalling it( didnt work).

Please provide me with a solution to this problem so that I can access my DVD drive.

Also I checked BIOS, ODD shows up there, so I guess problem is of Windows.

2. My second problem is about RAID drivers for my model. Incase I have to Clean install Windows 8 again, I will need those and I cannot find them. Please provide me with a link to download Intel iRST (RAID) drivers for my chipset so that I can copy it to a USB drive and use it while doing a clean Install of Win 8.

Thanks.

Wklandrud

Re: DVD Drive problem in Windows 8

Laptop L775-S7355  operating system Windows 8  DVD not working.  SAys I need to reinstall Driver Tsst Corp CDDVDW TS-L633F

Need to download driver

Peter

I hope you don't mind me asking some additional questions. Because Windows 8 is so new, I'm trying to better understand issues people may be having. If you could both answer these questions, it'd be helpful.

Did you perform a clean install, or did you perform the upgrade that keeps your applications installed?

Did you use the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant at any point in the upgrade, and if so, when?

Did you remove the programs listed in Toshiba's upgrade guide prior to performing the upgrade?

I believe the solution for the DVD drive problem is in this article:

CD / DVD drive is missing after upgrading to Windows 8

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Thanks for the reply Peter.

Firstly to answer your questions:

I did an upgrade keeping all applications and settings. Also i did the upgrade from within Windows 7. I used WinRAR to unzip and Image file I downloaded from Microsoft, put it on D: partition and then ran Setup.exe from there to start win8 installation.

I did not use Toshiba upgrade Assitant but I did uninstall 2 Toshiba applications that Win8 setup reported to be incompatible before proceeding with upgrade. Those 2 apps were I think:- Health Monitor and one more which I dont remember actually.

After the installation completed, I checked Device Manager and all the hardware were working properly and did not require any driver installation as Win8 installed drivers for most of hardware on its own. The only thing which had a Yellow mark was DVD (ODD drive). Everything else, including, display, sound, WiFi, LAN, USB etc worked fine without installing Toshiba specific win8 drivers.

Now coming to the problem of ODD drive not showing... I have found a solution for that.

I went to Admin Tools in Control panel >> Services >> Disabled Toshiba ODD service from there.

Then I uninstalled all Tosbiba Utilities that were installed under win7. These include: TVAP, Disc Creator, Service station, Eco Utiity and so forth and also intel Rapid Storage Tech drivers.

Restarted the laptop ... DVD drive appeared in Computer as removable drive. Also Yellow mark in Device Manager is now gone.

After this I started installing some of essential Toshiba utilties one by one and checked which one can cause the problem... So far I have installed TVAP again (win8 specific), Realtek card reader driver(win8), iRST driver(win8). All is fine till now.

I think we have uninstall Toshiba utilities and drivers installed under win7 and then install it again (either win8 specific ones or win7 ones) BUT key is to remove and then install and NOT install over existing ones. Don't forget to restart computer after Uninstalling applications.

Well, this is my obersavations from hit and trail.

Peter since you've more technical knowledge then me, Pls let me know if Im doing right or wrong.

Thanks.

Peter

It sounds like what you did was great. The problems appears to be caused by TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator and TOSHIBA Disc Creator from Windows 7 being left installed. Removing those two (if the system has both of them) should fix the problem at least in the cases we've seen.

I'm glad to hear Windows 8 is working well for you now.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help.

I have 2 more queries for you. It would be really nice if you could guide me in those too.

1) For now, I did the upgrade install of win8. But in future I would like to do a Clean Install so that whole system gets revamped. I have read on the internet that while doing Clean Install of win8, RAID drivers maybe required to be loaded from a USB pendrive at the start of running win8 bootable. Can you please tell me:-

•  where I can download RAID drivers for my model?
  • Also, are RAID and iRST drivers same thing??
  • I have downloaded win8 specific iRST drivers from Toshiba website. Are these drivers same as RAID ones? They were in a self excutable zip file format (File name : TC70150600A). I unziped this file but im not sure which files to copy on pendrive.

2) My second query is regarding "Panel Open-Power On" feature of my laptop. Earlier I had this feature Enabled and whenever I use to open my Panel, the Power got on automatically without pressing Power button. Now, I have disabled this feature using Toshiba HW setup utility. Also I checked BIOS(my BIOS ver is 3.10), it is disabled there too. BUT when I open my panel, its getting powered On even now. I did a capacitor drainage thing too by removing adaptor, removing battery, keep power button pressed for 30-45 secs and connecting it again. The problem still persist. Please suggest a remedy for this. Do I need to update BIOS to newer one (ver. 3.60)?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Peter

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of concrete answers for you here.

I'm not familiar with the RAID driver requirement. I know coworkers who have done clean installs, and I don't believe any have needed to load RAID drivers. I'll ask around for more information though.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology is a firmware RAID system. I'm not very familiar with RAID systems, so I may not be the best person to give advice here.

I'll look into the panel open-power on feature. I don't have a fix at this time.

- Peter
Peter

I just talked to someone who knew more about it. With your model, you most likely won't have a problem. If you do need the raid driver for some reason, the IRST driver should be fine. It's the .inf file that you'd need.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for the help about RAID/iRST info. You're coworker maybe right and I may not need any RAID drivers while doing a clean Install. But i read on the net about this when some people faced problems and RAID was required. That's why I asked. Don't wanna get stuck half way :smileyhappy: I'll copy iRST .inf file on to pendrive and will use that if required. This requirement was not there with Win 7 clean installs though. I did those a number of times.

I will be looking forward to info about 'Panel Open-Power On' problem. I have downloaded latest BIOS but not installed it yet. Don't want to mess with BIOS unless totally necessary. I did capacitor discharge again and problem became ok for a little while when I turned on laptop without battery. After I inserted battery it was again back to problem again. Can this be because of battery? My Toshiba Health Monitor shows battery health as "Poor' now although backup is still over 2 hrs.. earlier it was about 4 hrs.

Peter

I wouldn't normally think to connect those two ideas, but in all honesty... maybe? I've run into problems that were caused by things I thought were unrelated many times, so I'd hate to say anything here that was taken as fact when I'm really not sure yet.

If you go into Power Options and click "Panel Open - Power On" on the left, what opens? Does it open HWSetup for you or a different utility?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Yes, when I go to Power Options and click "Panel Open-Power On" it opens Toshiba HWSetup Utility and in HWSetup Utility, Panel Open-Power On is disabled.

Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

I tried something else last night ..

I took out the battery of laptop and then ran laptop on power (without battery inserted in the laptop) .. When I opened the Panel, it did not got Powered ON and I had to use Power button to do so .. I tried this thing 3-4 times, doing shutdown, closing the Panel, Opening it again and it did not got Power ON unless I pressed Power button.

Then I inserted battery back into the laptop and ran it on power(with battery inside) .. When I opened the Panel, it got Powerd ON again without pressing power button.

Any suggestions as to where the problem may be?

Peter

I don't have a fix in mind yet, but could you check one other thing for me?

When you select "Shut down," Windows 8 performs a new hybrid-shutdown. It does power off completely, but some files are cached to increase the boot speed (similar to a hibernation). To perform a complete shut down, you need to hold the SHIFT key when you select "Shut down." Could you try that with the battery connected, and then try opening the lid again? I'm curious to hear if the hybrid-shutdown has something to do with it.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Peter,

You've nailed the cause of the problem.

As suggested by you, I did a 'full' shutdown by holding down 'Shift key' and then hitting shutdown. Then I closed the lid.. power down the laptop completely by removing power plug for 30secs... connected the power plug in the power socket... opened the lid and this time 'Panel Open-Power On' did not work.. I had to press Power button to power it on.. It took a bit longer to shut down and on subsequent boot took a bit longer to boot though.

Then I did a shutdown again.. BUT this time did a 'hybrid' one (without holding 'Shift') and repeated same routine again as in para above .. This time "Panel open-Power on" worked again and laptop got powered On without me using Power button.

Seems like the cause of problem is 'Hybrid' shutdown in Win8.

Now coming to possible solutions for this. Do I have to always use 'Full' Shutdown only as a remedy to this problem OR Is Toshiba going to bring out some patch or update in an appropriate Utility to address this problem??

Please let me know.

You have been a great help Peter.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Peter

I'm glad we figured it out! You've been a great help too; I can't find solutions until I have someone willing to help me with the troubleshooting!

I don't know about the solution though. I will definitely report the issue, but I don't know what Toshiba's full response will be.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

I hope Toshiba brings out some kind of solution for this problem because I believe lot of people maybe facing this problem if they use Panel Open-Power On thing.. not many may report though. Most people are passive and just happy as long as computer is working.

I'm willing to help if you want to try out something to find a solution if it doesn't involve reinstalling Window because I just installed OS and installing afresh takes a lot of time.

Wyzty

hey i guess i have the same problem to you. you did not even try updating the driver? simply disable the Odd and uninstall toshiba apps and reboot.. thanks man.. i'll try this.

goldguy

I have tried every one of the suggestions in this forum and I am stillhaving the same problem with "Error code 19".  Any other ideas?

goldguy

I guess some more details might be a good idea.  My computer is a Satellite S855-S5378, purchased about two weeks ago with Windows 8 pre-installed on it.  I tried to play some music from the CD/DVD drive, and it worked the first time, but when I tried to play the second disc, the computer didn't even show the CD/DVD drive as being there.

keywest2013

Installed windows 8 on my Toshiba L505d-S5965 laptop..DVD will not install properly. Error message says registry corrupted drivers..went through all the reinstall procedures with no luck...dvd refuses to work...any solutions????