msteele321
Accepted Solution

Charms Bar - Swipe not working

Swiping from right to left is no longer working in order to open the charms bar.  Any ideas?

I've had the computer just a tad over a month and it has been easily used.  Why so many problems with Win 8?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Charms Bar - Swipe not working

What about WindowsKey + C?

Always tell us which computer you have when you post here. See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
msteele321

[ Edited ]

Yes.  The Win + C works to open it.  Is there no way to enable the swipe again?  It is much more convenient. 

The computer is

Model PSCBLU-02J006

Serial XXXXXXXXX

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C855-S5118 (PSCBLU-02J006)

Swiping from right to left is no longer working in order to open the charms bar 

That computer has no touch screen. So there's no swiping.

One opens the Charms Bar with a mouse by pointing to the extreme upper-right or lower-right corner of the screen. I push mine right off the screen.

Then move the mouse cursor up or down to locate the charm you want.

You can use the keyboard for access to some this way.

WindowsKey + I = Settings charm

WindowsKey + K = Devices charm

WindowsKey + Q = Apps search

WindowsKey + F = Files search

WindowsKey + W = Settings search

-Jerry
msteele321

Oh, I see.  I must be using the wrong verbiage. 

Up until a couple days ago I was able to move my finger from right to left on the touch pad and the charms bar would open.  Also, I could just swing my mouse from right to left and it would open.  I didn't have to have the mouse pointed in a particular place as long as I moved it from the rightmost side of the screen and swung it to the left. 

I will use the instructions you have offered, and thank you so much for them. It is no big deal... I just couldn't understand why the 2 above methods ceased to work suddenly.  I can't recall when I did the last Windows Update so not sure if that is what caused it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That doesn't work on my Windows 8 touchpads. But I suppose if it did, I'd call it a Swipe too.

By swiping in from the right edge (only for touch screen models) or pointing the mouse pointer to the upper or lower right corner of your screen, you will find a list of charms: Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings.

In any case, the above appears on p. 101 of the User's Guide. It's a handy reference.

Satellite/Satellite Pro C800/L800/S800 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
msteele321

Kinda funny.  It really annoyed me at first and I wanted to get it to to stop.  Once I got used to it, I miss it.  lol 

Thank you again for all of your help!!!!