grothm01

Can't get past the Windows 8 screen, before password sign in

PC - Toshiba Satellite C856D-S5320

Windows 8

I was having conflicts between the touchpad mouse and a USB wireless mouse.  I could not disable the driver for the touchpad mouse.  I searched for solutions to that problem.  I found instructions telling me to delete the touchpad device and driver.  I did that and then did a restart.  When I did the restart, I could no longer get to the password sign in.  After numerous attempts, I finally got to the password sign in screen but could not enter my password.  It appears that the keyboard is not active, although I can use the keyboard while viewing/editing the BIOS screens.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Can't get past the Windows 8 screen, before password sign in

Satellite C855D-S5320

On that password screen, find the Power icon at the lower-right and try a System Restore.

Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore

-Jerry
grothm01

Most of the time I can't even get to the password screen.  If I click on the splash screen, to get to the password screen, it will flash the password screen and immediately go back to the splash screen.  I'll see if I can play with it enough to get it to stay on the password screen and then try your suggestion.  I got it to stay once by repeatedly clicking on the splash screen.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If it won't boot Windows and you keep trying, Microsoft says eventually you will be taken to the Choose an options screen (the recovery environment). Toshiba says you can eventually get to that screen using F2 or the zero key (at the top).

Once there, all these are possible.

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Automatic Repair

Troubleshoot > Refresh your PC

Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

-Jerry
grothm01

I finally booted from my recovery CD and ran a "Refresh".  My PC is working now, after re-installing my user software.  I haven't tried using my USB/Wireles mouse yet, since I was having what appeared to be mouse driver conflicts just before the boot up problem.  How can I configure the touchpad driver to be disabled when the USB/Wireless  mouse is installed?  I did it once and it was working fine and then all of the sudden it appeared to be conflicting (possibly from some update?).  I don't remember what I did to configure it before and can't seem to find instructions on the web.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

my recovery CD

You didn't tell us you have that.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Type "Mouse" at the Start screen, click Settings, click Mouse, click Device Settings and put a check mark in  the box to "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached". 

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
grothm01

cbwilsha wrote:

Type "Mouse" at the Start screen, click Settings, click Mouse, click Device Settings and put a check mark in  the box to "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached". 

Thanks.  I was able to find the setting.  I hope that fixes any issues that I have.

grothm01

The disable of the touchpad, when USB/Wireless mouse is connected works, but when I start up the PC with the USB/Wireless mouse connected I can't get by the Windows 8 splash screen before the password screen (same issue I started with).  I'm able to get by it by removing the USB connection, then I plug it back in once I get to the password screen.  When I first installed the mouse, I never had this issue.  I can use the  mouse on my Windows 7 Acer notebook without any problems.  I suppose it could be the driver but I have installed the latest one (maybe it has a bug and is causing the problem).  Should I try a "rolback" of the driver?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

You could uninstall the current driver and then reinstall.  That's what I would try first.  You could also try System Restore back to when the USB mouse was working properly.  If you can get your USB mouse working properly, you can reset the Touchpad settings as before.  However, you can also turn off your Touchpad by using F5 or FN+F5 according to which FN option you are using for your Flash Cards.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
grothm01

cbwilsha wrote:

You could uninstall the current driver and then reinstall.  That's what I would try first.  You could also try System Restore back to when the USB mouse was working properly.  If you can get your USB mouse working properly, you can reset the Touchpad settings as before.  However, you can also turn off your Touchpad by using F5 or FN+F5 according to which FN option you are using for your Flash Cards.

I don't have a restore with all my user programs and don't want to go through the rebuild again so I guess I'll have to stay with my work around of removing the USB module for startup.  I might look at buying a different USB wireles mouse and see if that works.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

You lose NONE of your added programs and applications with a System Restore. At the Start screen, type System Restore and click on Settings. Click on "Create a Restore Point".  Click on "System Restore" and the narrative on that screen tells you about System Restore.  Then, click on Next and you will see a list of restore points already on your computer (also check the box for "Show more restore points"). Select one and click Next and follow instructions.

A System Restore to a previous date when all was well cures lots of system problems where a driver has developed some file corruption causing a malfunction of some device, utility or application. Even if you don't use it in this instance, you should familiarize yourself with what it is and what it can do for you. It has saved my butt several times since it came along.

C.B.

bambish99

thank you Jerry for that quick and extremely easy shortcut trick...worked perfectly

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy you found it useful.

-Jerry