tmfouch011

C855D-S5196 won't boot in normal mode

I bought a Toshiba satellite C855D-S5196 with Windows 8 about 6 months ago. I have automatic updates turned on and when I shut down it was evidently installing updates. The next morning, it wouldn't boot up when I turned it on. I called customer service and spoke with a tech that talked me through booting it up in safe mode. Then I was transfered to another tech that explained Windows 8 may have been corrupted because the updates hadn't finished installing when I shut down. I was told it would cost me $159 to have it fixed and I would have 24 hr. tech support for a year. That is more than half what I paid for it and financially impossible for me. The tech advised me to get on forums and maybe someone would help me. I am still in safe mode and I'm afraid if I turn it off then I won't be able to get it back on. Has anyone else ever had this problem and knows how to fix it? Help, PLEASE!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: C855D-S5196 won't boot in normal mode

Satellite C855D-S5196

Windows 8 may have been corrupted because the updates hadn't finished installing when I shut down.

In Safe Mode, try a System Restore to before the update.

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore

It would not interfere with anything.

If that doesn't work, try a Refresh.

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Refresh your PC

It would not interfere with your data files, but would require you to reinstall desktop applications.

-Jerry
tmfouch011

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I was afraid to leave it plugged up so I shut down. I can't get back to safe mode now! I called the manufacturer back and the tech said they could do a recovery for $69. I asked couldn't I do that myself but found out that I did not have a recovery disc, it was installed on the computer. No help in getting there either. I still have a broke laptop! I am
using my daughter's iPad to correspond and have decided my next purchase will definitely be a Mac. Thank you anyway for your time!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can't get back to safe mode now!

Microsoft has created Windows 8 in such a fashion that if the boot continues to fail, you will eventually reach the recovery environment. That screen says Choose an option. From there you have many choices. Probably try them in this order.

Startup Repair is here. 

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Automatic Repair

System Restore is here.

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore

Refresh..

Troubleshoot > Refresh your PC

Restore to out-of-box..

Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

-Jerry